Are these bikes good?

I'd keep shopping around. I could probably do a kona build with some bits which would arguably be better than any of the options, might come in at a bit more though, depending on the spec it ends up with.
So do you have a spare rigid kona frame/forks?

I can transfer the rest from this current bike I have. I can then just source another crankset and other odd parts myself.

This is getting a bit circular........🤣.
How is this one? Main issue is will it take thick enough wheels for gravel riding/light off-roading?

Hmm quite a lot on offer when searching '24 speed mountain bike'!

Last edited:
It's a buyers market these days.

All the usual outlets/listings are saturated with used bikes Unsold. Many have been lingering FS for months if not years, anyone keeping an eye on the market will agree.
So I would say you do not need to compromise on what you need/want or can find assuming you don't live in the outer Hebridies.

If you are open to buying a couple bikes as a donor etc, go for it. I am sure everyone on here (RB) will also attest to the common sense in buying retro, lots of used parts & knowhow from everyone on here. Much cheaper than modern stuff & in many ways, better quality. Retro bikes pre-date the throw-away nature of some modern consumables.

Where are you located? How tall/what frame size do you require?
How much can you spend? What has caught your eye so far?

It's a buyers market these days.

All the usual outlets/listings are saturated with used bikes Unsold. Many have been lingering FS for months if not years, anyone keeping an eye on the market will agree.
So I would say you do not need to compromise on what you need/want or can find assuming you don't live in the outer Hebridies.

If you are open to buying a couple bikes as a donor etc, go for it. I am sure everyone on here (RB) will also attest to the common sense in buying retro, lots of used parts & knowhow from everyone on here. Much cheaper than modern stuff & in many ways, better quality. Retro bikes pre-date the throw-away nature of some modern consumables.

Where are you located? How tall/what frame size do you require?
How much can you spend? What has caught your eye so far?
Thanks! I was getting a lot of stick from other members here, and even accused of being a troll, for being too fussy just because I am new as if I am not allowed to be discerning about what I want before I have x years experience under my belt.

I am 5' 10". I would be looking for posting anyway.

You can see my many recent posts detailing what I am after (to the annoyance of many here it seems!) but after rigid frame (including forks) and basically just going for a very low gear for mostly steep hill climbing on quiet roads and light off-roading.

There has been much back and forth between 1x on old bike or 3x with granny. I had been persuaded by others that 1x is a waste of money and very convoluted way to go about it for a retro bike and 3x was the way. My mind was thus set to that thinking then suddenly this offer pops up which turns the tables on that!: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/nice-lightweight-diamond-back-axis-1994.484206/

This previous thread details the discussion had so far: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...ern-drivetrain-on-a-vintage-mtb.484041/page-9

Thanks! I was getting a lot of stick from other members here, and even accused of being a troll, for being too fussy just because I am new as if I am not allowed to be discerning about what I want before I have x years experience under my belt.

I am 5' 10". I would be looking for posting anyway.

You can see my many recent posts detailing what I am after (to the annoyance of many here it seems!) but after rigid frame (including forks) and basically just going for a very low gear for mostly steep hill climbing on quiet roads and light off-roading.

There has been much back and forth between 1x on old bike or 3x with granny. I had been persuaded by others that 1x is a waste of money and very convoluted way to go about it for a retro bike and 3x was the way. My mind was thus set to that thinking then suddenly this offer pops up which turns the tables on that!: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/nice-lightweight-diamond-back-axis-1994.484206/

This previous thread details the discussion had so far: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...ern-drivetrain-on-a-vintage-mtb.484041/page-9
Any pictures of your British Eagle so we can see what we're dealing with, is itone of the Reynolds framed bikes?

How is this one? Main issue is will it take thick enough wheels for gravel riding/light off-roading?

Hmm quite a lot on offer when searching '24 speed mountain bike'!
I used to have a Sirrus of a similar era. If I recall, you are correct in that it had more road-style, quite tight clearances.I was running 25mm tyres and guessing it wouldn’t have taken more than 32mm , maybe 38mm but I’d think to avoid for 40+ gravel stuff.

Welcome to the forum. I would ignore commenters who forget their manners and treat newbies as second class. Ask away. If people get bored of answering, then so be it.

Any pictures of your British Eagle so we can see what we're dealing with, is itone of the Reynolds framed bikes?
Reynolds, lol, no I think not. Those are the good frames right? This is just a cheap by the numbers 'full sus' offering that people here would call 'BSO'. It is even a girls bike, not that I knew until I looked it up and would not have known any different had I not found that out.

I simply want a good base rigid frame now as less to go wrong and better for hills due to not absorbing energy and also low gearing. Several good offers now on my wanted thread, just have to sort through them.

I used to have a Sirrus of a similar era. If I recall, you are correct in that it had more road-style, quite tight clearances.I was running 25mm tyres and guessing it wouldn’t have taken more than 32mm , maybe 38mm but I’d think to avoid for 40+ gravel stuff.
Ahh will rule that one out then. I have plenty to go on with offers on this forum now it seems and the community here I will feel more comfortable putting money down than a random gumtree seller.
Welcome to the forum. I would ignore commenters who forget their manners and treat newbies as second class. Ask away. If people get bored of answering, then so be it.

Back