Are these bikes good?

Can your seasoned eyes tell me which is good/better/value for money.

Shall keep this thread to add more as I find.

The Orange is highest regarded around here right?

What about the Raleigh? I would tend to that one at the moment as cheaper if not much in either and looks crisp. Is XL too big for 5' 10" though? A bit too big is ok if you like riding hills iirc?

Reading up more on the forum these Raleighs are highly regarded it seems?

Marin seems pricey for a knocked about looking bike with none original fork.

Last edited:
Hmm, some troubling comments that the Raleigh is low end and even the dreaded term BSO is thrown its way.

I already have a BSO, my British Eagle! That is what I am wanting to step up from! No sense buying another BSO.

So is the Clockwork more highly regarded in that sense?

Please I require guidance. Haven't got a clue which one has better spec than the other!

Hmm I am reading, of the Raleigh, that the different parts are GLUED rather than welded and there are cases of the frame falling to separate piece while riding!

Last edited:
XL will be too big for you. It's not a bonded version so no worries about glue failure.

The clockwork is ok, not the best spec but the only one I'd say is your size. It may have a 1 inch steerer, which limits your fork options if you wanted to change, not sure of that era of clockwork, but I did have one which was 1 inch and I think it was a later one (93 iirc).

The Marin would be my choice as it's marginally better spec, looks like it has an original Marin rigid fork, and is a 1 1/8 aheadset type so you'd have many options open if you wanted to change to suspension. V brakes too, which are easier to use and set up.

I'd keep shopping around. I could probably do a kona build with some bits which would arguably be better than any of the options, might come in at a bit more though, depending on the spec it ends up with.

XL will be too big for you. It's not a bonded version so no worries about glue failure.

The clockwork is ok, not the best spec but the only one I'd say is your size. It may have a 1 inch steerer, which limits your fork options if you wanted to change, not sure of that era of clockwork, but I did have one which was 1 inch and I think it was a later one (93 iirc).

The Marin would be my choice as it's marginally better spec, looks like it has an original Marin rigid fork, and is a 1 1/8 aheadset type so you'd have many options open if you wanted to change to suspension. V brakes too, which are easier to use and set up.

I'd keep shopping around. I could probably do a kona build with some bits which would arguably be better than any of the options, might come in at a bit more though, depending on the spec it ends up with.
They say in the description that it is not original forks.

How about his one for only 50?

I have parts on my British Eagle BSO so I could transfer across bits from that and upgrade as and when. Main thing I want is rigid low gear bike. Is that a decent frame? The granny looks pretty low on that too so might save me another purchase.

I see some rusty bits so the question would be whether headset and BB are bad.

That's a good bike imo. I had one about 4 years ago now which was mint. Can't help with rusty bits, you'd need to ask seller. Seems a mix of LX and dx which are decent, especially the thumbies. Check whether it's a 7 or 8 speed setup. The thumbies should be 7 speed but can be over clicked to run 8 speed. The LX rear mech is 8 speed but will run fine as 7.

I'd also check size, it might be ok for you at 5 10 if 17.5 is the c2c measurement.

That's a good bike imo. I had one about 4 years ago now which was mint. Can't help with rusty bits, you'd need to ask seller. Seems a mix of LX and dx which are decent, especially the thumbies. Check whether it's a 7 or 8 speed setup. The thumbies should be 7 speed but can be over clicked to run 8 speed. The LX rear mech is 8 speed but will run fine as 7.

I'd also check size, it might be ok for you at 5 10 if 17.5 is the c2c measurement.
Great and for the price can't go wrong really provided they will post it, which they said they wouldn't but we'll see if they can be persuaded.

With the leftover change could buy other parts if needed.

The saracen rear hub is 7 speed. It wont take 8 and its 74/110 bcd..so no small rings possible. Look a bit later than 92.....🙂
Yes but only 50 quid so I can buy the parts it lacks. Sugino crank and granny and the 7 sprocket is probably already 30 or 32 on it giving a nice low gear after granny.

Back