Araya RM-17 concave rims...Now with pics!

I know this is an old topic, however I have a question regarding RM17.

Got one (new) few years back and built a new rear wheel. The rim was all painted in black (sidewals also). I did not mind that, however after using v-brakes paint went off and sidewalls became silver.

Colour is no subject to me. My concern is, that I heard once, that they built RM17 for disc brakes also. In that case it could be, that mine (since sidewalls were also painted - and not machined like at Mavic RM317 for example) were made for disc?

If so, my concern is, that in that case sidewalls are too thin for braking with rim brakes and using rim brakes I risk damage.

Anyone heard anything about those rims?

Re:

Rm17s predate disk technology by a good few years. They can be used for disk brakes of course but they were never disk specific. These were a lightweight mid range race rim so likely to wear pretty fast under heavy use.

Thank you Antstark. I will just measure thickness of the sidewall now and change the rim when the wall shrinks for 0.5mm. I guess that will do...

Yes W_A_S, sorry, anodised of course. I guess 20 years back they just anodised the whole rim and let it be. No side machining...thank you for the link. I can see that the rim is anodised all over.

Back