Applying decals...?

jam1e

Dirt Disciple
The time has almost come for the decals to go on my Fire Mountain SS bodge following the respray done by my own fair hands... (Mmmm White frame, graphite forks and stem :cool: )

Anyway, 2 questions - Anyone got any tips for keeping them level and parallel? And any advice for getting them on without bubbles and creases? I'm cackhanded so any advice will be greatfully received!

Cheers!

stickers

You will need: a credit card and wrap some paper towel round it a few times, some masking tape. Some alcowipes or cleaning solution

First of all make sure the area is dead clean with a wipe. You dont want any polish or wax else they wont adhere. Best thing to do if ya can is put some tape along the top edge of the stickers ( you'll need a strait edge)and attach to the frame so they flap up and down into the position you want them to end up in. If they are long it might help to cut strait up to the tape between the graphics so it's now in separate flaps, joined at the top. Then when you are ready, fold the first bit up so it's upside down and fettle out the backing tape/paper and remove it (careful not to take the sticker with it). You should be left with the sticker on the application tape. Now with your paper covered card, work the sticker back down from the top. If you get any bubbles pop em out with a pin. Do this all the way along the other bits and they should go on perfectly. The other way is the normal way people atempt it. Just take the whole backing off and try and get it on strait. It might help if you use a tiny bit of fairy liquid/water solution. Once on go over with your card and squeegie the solution out. Id blow a hair dryer over them for a few minutes to dry em out

Good luck!

I usually use meth spirit (purple colour liquid) on the frame tubes where decals is going.

It's pretty straight forward putting them on if you take your time and take care, best to put them on frame first before putting bike parts, much easier.

Tip:- when putting the 'Kona' on down tube, try aim a little closer to top of down tube and just below the frame water bottle openings, this will avoid having the decals damaged from stones hitting undernealth bottom of down tube when riding, the rest is put at centre of each tube as best you can.

Good luck

guybe":395cfx3f said:
Tip:- when putting the 'Kona' on down tube, try aim a little closer to top of down tube and just below the frame water bottle openings, this will avoid having the decals damaged from stones hitting undernealth bottom of down tube when riding, the rest is put at centre of each tube as best you can.

I always thought that the reason that down tube decals are applied slightly towards the top of the tube rather than being central was to obtain the best "eye line" when looking at the bike - because typically you'll be standing and the bike is lower.

If you want to prevent stone damage to paint/decals underneath the down tube (or anywhere else of course) then helicopter tape is your friend!

See, you ask a question thinking you've thought of everything then people come up with all kinds of suggestions that you'd never think of!

Cheers guys, that should help quite a bit.

there i was thinking professionals cover the area in water so they can slide the decal into place before the water evaporates away :roll:

Back