Anyone recommend a Wireless router that isn't rubbish?

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Having just wasted a fair bit of time on a wireless router which has packed in am now in the market for another decent one. With or without ADSL modem.

Had a DLink DIR655 which was very good indeed until the wirelss died in it :twisted: Almost tempted to get another but once bitten etc.

All i can recommend is a Netgear router, been using one wireless for years without any troubles. Looks nice too!

I'll second the Belkin WRT54GS. I actually have a virtually unused one I could sell you pretty cheap.

I prefer to not go wireless. Pain in the ass port forwarding a router to get the best download speeds.

Netgear DG834G all the way for me, mine's been faultless and we use them at work for our Home-workers, had one power-supply go flaky but it's a relatively standard 12v unit so easy enough to find a replacement.

I have a spare ADSL Netgear Rangemax DG834PN sitting around twiddling its wireless thumbs

its the one with the flashy blue leds denoting its 6 internal antennas.

Cosign on the Netgear recommendations. I work with these and they are as bullet-proof as this kit gets. DG834GT all the way, running the Jesus firmware ;)

if you're technical, original Linksys WRT54G, or now the WRT54GL version. it's linux based and there are open source and commercial third party firmware to give you a vast array of configuration options. Tomato was an highly rated firmware to put on it.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

however seeing that you had a DIR655 (which I'm currently using), it may not suit your needs as the WRT54G doesn't have wireless N or Gigabit Ethernet like the DIR655 does.

Back