anyone know anything about air guns

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
i have a an air it says edgar brothers on it its a camo colour

however it has a fault when you cock it it causes the gun to fire :shock:

anyone got any ides i ve removed the stock but cant see anyting obvious

Take it to a good gun shop ASAP as that sounds very serious or join a air gun chat room they will know. But they tend to be full of Sun readers & Thatcher lovers.

At a guess it could be the trigger mechanism is not engaging the spring so releasing as soon as it's cocked. Have you set the trigger to light?

but a gun shop will know. Look in Google for the gun maker and contact them.

As Tintin said, you might have wound the trigger mech in too far. Otherwise it could be the sear or piston worn or the sear spring collapsed. Take it to a local gun shop and they might be able to help or it's manufacturers next.

Personally I'd say if you are in ANY doubt about what you are doing, take it to a gun shop and have it fixed professionally. You've got a fairly powerful and potentially lethal air rifle, and this is the sort of thing that causes horrendous accidents - better safe than sorry.

I'd agree... TAKE IT TO A SHOP! Gunsmithing a faulty weapon is not DIY... I'm a card carrying member of the NRA... lots of stories to go around - you don't want to hear them.

hova":3uw1dpdg said:
I'd agree... TAKE IT TO A SHOP! Gunsmithing a faulty weapon is not DIY... I'm a card carrying member of the NRA... lots of stories to go around - you don't want to hear them.

i went through my air rifle tinkering phase and wrecked a couple of trigger units on older bsa's, webley's, ASI's and similar before i got the knack of getting them just right.

if the trigger sear is releasing (or not fully engaging) with no predictability its got bad news written all over it and needs looking at, it could be as simple as adjusting the preload / pull weight (depending on what adjustment the trigger unit has) or could be something deep rooted & in need of attention / retirement.

get it checked.

Whoa stop! First off you can safely adjust the trigger at home so long as you keep a firm grip on the barrel to stop it flying up. If you can strip and rebuild a set of sus forks then an airrifle isnt much harder. If i can send you the to talk to the chaps on

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Very helpfull bunch of chaps and wont look down on you for having a cheaper air rifle. In fact they love cheap rifles, you should see some of the work they have done with them.

paddy

shoot smart, shoot safe.

poweredbypies":1yzz6k23 said:
Whoa stop! First off you can safely adjust the trigger at home

unless you don't know what your doing and you end up with a rifle that will fire without warning when cocked & loaded. this isn't a 'safe' home adjustment if you end up with a rifle that will either slam fire or if you get sear failures for whatever reason.

I will simply say from personal experience... if your not sure, don't risk it for the sake of you and those around you.

that said, if you do know what your doing - tinkering with old / cheap air rifles is a cracking hobby. I made a qb78 into an electric trigger bullpup for a giggle & it was a nice accurate gun out to 30 odd yards, admittedly not as accurate as the rapid or fenman but it wasn't bad!

Back