Anyone into classic cars

Not for long they won't be....and when they spit the dummy its bad....expensive bad....crying customer bad 🤣

If done correctly they easily take that kind of power. There are guys who have been running it for years with no issues.

It’s once you get go near 1300-1500hp that stuff starts to break.

Amazingly the cars with conversions are relatively cheap. Maybe a 10-15k uplift over a standard car and quite a hard sell even at that.

I wouldn’t buy a heavily modified supercar as my pockets aren’t deep enough if it did go bang. I’d certainly cry.

The problem with the twin turbo V10 is that when something breaks, if the cause isn't obvious most places (especially Audi main dealerships) fire the parts cannon and may eventually fix the car after replacing many parts that were perfectly serviceable. Blows smoke at start up? That'll be new turbos, £10K+ thank you. Oh, they didn't fix it? New oil pump, that'll be £4K if we can get one.
Actual cause - a £35 one-way valve inside the oil pump but as far as VAG are concerned the pumps are 'non-serviceable'.
I'm not too familiar with the R8 but where the RS6 is concerned pretty near every engine job entails taking the thing out of the car, which takes about a day and a half. And another couple of days to put it back in again because you have to go through the long-winded procedures of refilling and bleeding all the liquids.

The problem with the twin turbo V10 is that when something breaks, if the cause isn't obvious most places (especially Audi main dealerships) fire the parts cannon and may eventually fix the car after replacing many parts that were perfectly serviceable. Blows smoke at start up? That'll be new turbos, £10K+ thank you. Oh, they didn't fix it? New oil pump, that'll be £4K if we can get one.
Actual cause - a £35 one-way valve inside the oil pump but as far as VAG are concerned the pumps are 'non-serviceable'.
I'm not too familiar with the R8 but where the RS6 is concerned pretty near every engine job entails taking the thing out of the car, which takes about a day and a half. And another couple of days to put it back in again because you have to go through the long-winded procedures of refilling and bleeding all the liquids.
RE performance is the master of all things R8 and Gallardo. What he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing. Nobody goes near a main dealer once the car gets to a certain age as they’ve simply don’t see enough of them to know anything.

Yes some jobs are engine out. But no different to most other similar cars. If you are dropping £50k on a twin turbo set up it’s likely a risk folk are willing to take and still more reliable than some other cars

Back