Anyone into classic cars

I blame that twat Jamie Oliver!

The VW scene was mainly young, skint, working-class dudes struggling to keep their daily drivers on the road.. the bus he bought was on the market for years.. we all used to laugh at the price.. nobody is going to spend £10k on a splitty, surely?

Oliver comes along, buys the most expensive bus in a vain attempt to increase his street cred, inflating the market in the process.. his middle-class admireers followed and all of a sudden the festivals are full of folks eating artisan bread with quinoa and romanesco sprinkled with chia seeds!!

..now you can't buy a bus for less than £40k...Damn you Oliver!!!
I know the workshop and guys that van came from....some very cunning trickery went into that engine and the running gear...with hindsight it was actually a bargain 😆....but then I did um and ahh over 18k for a kink screen 356 from the Stuttgart workshop....I'd own a house now if I'd bought that!
Still I did own possibly the rarest early bay for a while....that'd probably got me a nice flat by now!
Now I'm skint destitute and ride bikes...😂

The VW scene was mainly young, skint, working-class dudes struggling to keep their daily drivers on the road.. the bus he bought was on the market for years.. we all used to laugh at the price.. nobody is going to spend £10k on a splitty, surely?

Yep, VW's were never my thing but I know plenty that love them so went to a good few shows myself over the years and saw it decline into the domain of the moneyed idiot.

Yours truly just bein' diagnosed with acute Beemeritis: a non-lethal, severely chronic state of mind, usually with visible invasive symptoms which heavily affect the wallet of patient, i.e. contents of it are always in grave danger 🇭🇺!

bmw as found.jpg

Sorry, my 740d felt too lonely alone recently, so a twin brother (must be a male in this phenotype called Shadowline) came to her rescue today!

(yes, those are ALPINA 18" Softlines, no, it's not my jung...er garden, pictured as found after a 6 year long sleep.)

Getting him back on the road again starts today 🏁, watch this space!🏴‍☠️

Last edited:
Nice car. nice colour, nice wheels.

Funny enough I once bought an e34 535se just because it had a set of genuine Alpina wheels on it. I bought a genuine e34 B10 that had been stripped of all its cosmetic Alpina bits so a complete spares car for all the normal bits was very useful and the wheels were very welcome as genuine e34 Alpina B10 wheels are like hens teeth to find. The guy I bought the 535se from couldn't work out why I didn't haggle on the price.

I still have the B10 and its wheels. plus a lot of the bits from the 535se.

Nice car. nice colour, nice wheels.

Funny enough I once bought an e34 535se just because it had a set of genuine Alpina wheels on it. I bought a genuine e34 B10 that had been stripped of all its cosmetic Alpina bits so a complete spares car for all the normal bits was very useful and the wheels were very welcome as genuine e34 Alpina B10 wheels are like hens teeth to find. The guy I bought the 535se from couldn't work out why I didn't haggle on the price.

I still have the B10 and its wheels. plus a lot of the bits from the 535se.

Thanks, sadly it looks better on pics than IRL. I bought it also as a donor, but as it's highly specced and wants to live, I've decided to see how it goes giving it a 2nd chance, but without giving a stroke to my local grease monkey, hopefully.

Thanks, sadly it looks better on pics than IRL. I bought it also as a donor, but as it's highly specced and wants to live, I've decided to see how it goes giving it a 2nd chance, but without giving a stroke to my local grease monkey, hopefully.

My B10 was bought as a donor with the intention of converting the e24 635 I had at the time into an Alpina but when I got it home I thought I can't do it, it was a testament to why some people shouldn't have nice things as it was the most rotten car I've seen in a long time and missing all its Alpina Cosmetic bits but it was No3 of the UK cars made and being one of the first E34 B10's was a non catalyser car, it was quite low mileage and had a good lot of history with it so I thought how hard can it be?

Its still in the garage waiting for me to get back to it and the only panel left to replace is the rear quarter but it will wait now until I retire and have the time to spend on it.

Yep, VW's were never my thing but I know plenty that love them so went to a good few shows myself over the years and saw it decline into the domain of the moneyed idiot.
I gave up on VW shows years ago. Lot's of people polishing there buses who never went anywhere but shows and filling their patina'd roof racks with Tat Radio Flyers and cow's horns....Not my scene at all. Below is what a Split screen should be used for............. split.jpg
Camping and bike transport

Last edited:
My B10 was bought as a donor with the intention of converting the e24 635 I had at the time into an Alpina but when I got it home I thought I can't do it, it was a testament to why some people shouldn't have nice things as it was the most rotten car I've seen in a long time and missing all its Alpina Cosmetic bits but it was No3 of the UK cars made and being one of the first E34 B10's was a non catalyser car, it was quite low mileage and had a good lot of history with it so I thought how hard can it be?

Its still in the garage waiting for me to get back to it and the only panel left to replace is the rear quarter but it will wait now until I retire and have the time to spend on it.

Good story, and I agree with completely with the "why some people shouldn't have nice things" part. The black 740d from Hell could have been 10x better nick now if it was stored on concrete, under a shed' roof, not much of a wish for such a rare beast. Anyway, today it got its first climate gas refill in 6 years and it works & keeping its pressure, so it was well worth 40 GBP-especially in a black beemer.

Last edited:
The twins:
Bömbördög & Bömböc.jpg

Next week the black one from hell will receive its first infusion of life saving parts in 6 years. Then a trip to my local bodyshop, and we'll see if it stays on the road for a while or not (I hope it wants to live).

Back