Anyone heard of Shock Works???

Cap

Retro Newbie
Hey all, picked up an ol' 96 KHS Descent (FXT) for some beer lately, came with a Marzocchi Bam 80 on front so hey. This past weekend i hiked her up some hills -after a bit of brake and cable refitting- and bombed down them... bike was a bit squirrely in the rear end but held it down. Anyway... the stock bike came with a rear shock made by Shock Works, R3 model. I think it has like 2.5" of travel. I'm sure its an early 90's attempted business that went bankrupt or something. I was perusing around the 'net and cant find any info on these whatsoever. I was wondering if I could buy a cheapo rebuild kit for it? Did someone buy them out? Or what's a good replacement option, for not too much? Eye-to-eye is 8.5". Thanks

Re:

They were generally cheap OEM units fitted to entry level bikes in the late 90's onwards. I seem to remember when I bought my Team Marin D.H in '98 (Which came with a Fox Vanilla TC) The B17 which was the entry level version had a shockworks as did the marin DH FRS frameset, they tended to have a short life compared to the fox units of the time

Personally I would'nt invest anything reviving it. Being the length of travel it is, it's probably cheaper to source something better like an old fox unit which would marry up with the marzocchi's nicely and you would definately notice an improvement in performance.

Its just a spring and a damper, if the damper works and there are no leaks it will feel just like any other rear shock.

legrandefromage":1vlwm8m6 said:
Its just a spring and a damper, if the damper works and there are no leaks it will feel just like any other rear shock.

I'm going to have to beg to differ there my man, that's a wildly inaccurate comment, thats like saying all tyres perform the same because they're just round bits of rubber filled with air!

Performance of a rear shock is as varied as the performance of suspension forks, Even valving the same shock differently makes a difference.

Of course, If your riding is in the flat part of Cambs, then yes... all shocks feel the same :LOL:

Sorry bud, But I could'nt let that comment go

Re:

Got a few Shock Works, all 165mm eye 2 eye and all Spring Damper combo, have run them on my Orange X1's and also came standard fit on my Orange X2, not bad shocks compared to similar that i have used. Had Noleen's on my Proflex and found them to be ok, but not great in comparison. Bagged a few off ebay for peanuts to keep as spares due to limitations in 165mm sizeing for my bikes.

:D

Kult Friction":26mymqqb said:
legrandefromage":26mymqqb said:

I'm going to have to beg to differ there my man, that's a wildly inaccurate comment, thats like saying all tyres perform the same because they're just round bits of rubber filled with air!

Performance of a rear shock is as varied as the performance of suspension forks, Even valving the same shock differently makes a difference.

Of course, If your riding is in the flat part of Cambs, then yes... all shocks feel the same :LOL:

Sorry bud, But I could'nt let that comment go

Agree 100%, they make a huge difference.

Back