Any tips for unsticking a stuck stem?

Re:

I've just finally got round to ordering some PlusGas off eBay - Homebase and B&Q near me don't stock anything stronger than WD40. Halfords had their own brand, or the 3-in-One equivalent of PlusGas, but I thought I'd go for the real thing.

So hopefully I might have an actual progress update in a few days...

Thanks for all the advice - the stem and handlebars are finally free!

A combination of Plus Gas (well worth buying a can of that off eBay), a longer Allen key with more leverage, and the tried and tested thwack with a hammer to free the expander bolt.

Rats. Now I can't get the cranks or pedals off. That's pretty much the last obstacle to having the frame stripped ready to take it to be sprayed. And taking the bottom bracket out.

Plus Gas hasn't worked initially.

More of the same?

If all else fails with the BB and cranks your resprayer may do this for a small charge. I took a frame to Bob Jackson 2 years ago with a Shimano BB that refused to move (either for me or the local bike shop). I asked if they would remove it and explained that others had already attempted this. The reply was a wry smile and a quip that 'a LBS is alright to bolt bikes together out of the box, but sometimes engineers are needed'. They also appeared to have some very big breaker bars for just this purpose :shock: . I thought £10 for the removal wasn't bad, considering the potential damage to my tools (and person) attempting this myself (considering the force seemingly needed to do so). I'm no whuss, but sometimes help is needed...

HW

Re:

hi, if any one does get stuck with a bb removal.i took mine to a tyre bay 1/2 square drive air impact tool.
my bb was sealed.if yours is old type could try a nut and bolt through spindle hole. charge to me was nothing.
kevin

Latest posts

Back