Any tips for unsticking a stuck stem?

Turn it upside down and try a little precaution from underneath the fork. WD and the usual suspect may help. Coca cola is a good one too! A long shaft or drift may help thins along...

Just to clarify..........you havn't managed to loosen / unscrew the allen key bolt from the top of the stem?

Shaun

Re:

OP may be better off with a dedicated penetrating/releasing fluid like Plus-Gas? I mean, I don't have any GT85, I've not read what it says on the can, so I'm happy to be corrected, but some product that functions partly as a lubricant probably isn't optimised for this application?

Patience and perseverance with Plus-Gas is likely to pay dividends if you are hoping to get the stem out without having to sacrifice any of it's components. Once you start trying to loosen the bolt, the most useful tool is likely to be a solidly mounted vice.

Shouldn't be difficult to improvise some extension to an allen-key to provide more leverage, but it depends on the condition of the hex-socket of the expander-bolt. If it's damaged, then you're probably best off drilling it out as Keithglos said, bearing in mind the potential hassle of getting a replacement- Cinelli bolts seem to use a finer thread than others. It doesn't matter functionally as long as the replacement bolt has a) compatible length and head/shaft diameters to fit the Cinelli stem, and b) the same thread as the expander-nut.

Plenty of releasing agent, brute force and bad language... (well I find the latter helps!!!)

To shift the bolt try an Impact driver. That'll move most bolts. If the wedge is stuck then hard fast hits with a copper hammer on the bolt will shift it but may damage the bolt.

Turning the bike upside down and soaking with release oils may help, but you'll need to feed it this over a few days to have a significant impact.

Another spray I have found to work if Loctite Freeze-Release.

Midlife":1tkusxuo said:
Just to clarify..........you havn't managed to loosen / unscrew the allen key bolt from the top of the stem?

Shaun

Spot on. I've bust a fairly good socket screwdriver trying to shift it. Twisted the handle clean off.

Re: Re:

torqueless":3nn9qywn said:
OP may be better off with a dedicated penetrating/releasing fluid like Plus-Gas? I mean, I don't have any GT85, I've not read what it says on the can, so I'm happy to be corrected, but some product that functions partly as a lubricant probably isn't optimised for this application?

Patience and perseverance with Plus-Gas is likely to pay dividends if you are hoping to get the stem out without having to sacrifice any of it's components. Once you start trying to loosen the bolt, the most useful tool is likely to be a solidly mounted vice.

Shouldn't be difficult to improvise some extension to an allen-key to provide more leverage, but it depends on the condition of the hex-socket of the expander-bolt. If it's damaged, then you're probably best off drilling it out as Keithglos said, bearing in mind the potential hassle of getting a replacement- Cinelli bolts seem to use a finer thread than others. It doesn't matter functionally as long as the replacement bolt has a) compatible length and head/shaft diameters to fit the Cinelli stem, and b) the same thread as the expander-nut.

On the can, GT85 says "the lubricant, penetrator and water displacer".

The hex socket isn't in bad nick at the moment...

Re:

So to summarise... turning it upside-down and pumping various solutions into it seems to be the way forward, combined with turning it back right way up and giving the hex socket a few thwacks?

I'll try Plus Gas or the Loctite stuff next, if GT-85 doesn't do the trick.

MrW":184mwkyx said:
you just need to persevere
I used this preserve! came out sweet! Oh you mean persevere now that's different :facepalm:

Attachments

• nh-preserves-apricot_21_big.jpg
    nh-preserves-apricot_21_big.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 296
If you can't undo the allen key now with brute force I'd personally think about hacksawing the top off (through the bolt) , taking the forks out and then smacking down on the bolt with the forks supported under the crown with a block of wood. Then removing the remainder of the stem.......

Shaun

Re:

Yeah but I think OP would like to save this stem, Shaun?

I'm no expert about what comes in cans- I don't know how much actual difference there is between WD, GT, and PG. Just had a look at the Plus-Gas can, and that calls itself a 'lubricant' too, but afaik it doesn't pretend to be good for anything but releasing corroded components like this, although it might be..

What I like about it is that it's in liquid form rather than aerosol- or at least, you used to be able to get it in either form. So you can upend the frame, pour say a cm. down there, plug the bottom of the steerer with a wine cork or something to stop it evaporating, position some receptacle to catch anything that manages to make it through to the other end, and let it go to work for a few days. Then see if you can shift the bolt. Repeat as necessary.

The hex socket isn't in bad nick at the moment...
Probably best to do what you can to keep it that way then, through this process and beyond, it's like your best friend. I wouldn't like to hit it directly with a hammer, although I understand the temptation, and am not immune to it.

Back