Any Marin experts out there?

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
My knowledge of Marin bikes dries up around 1995 and I’ve recently purchased two more post 2000 bikes.

Can someone help me with some of my questions, maybe? It would satisfy my curiosity.

How did the range for FRS bikes go up (ascend) post 1999? E.g. Which were the range toppers?

Why does my 2003 East Peak have different logos/colourway to the one one bikepedia? Did they change them for the UK?

Who made the Ovation tubing? Was it any good? The welding looks decent. Was this Marin branded because of the unique performing perhaps? Ie they weren’t just buying Tange tubes off the shelf any more.

The rest of the Ovation stuff seems crappy compared to Shimano? Anyone had any luck with it?

What about the Whyte components, are these good or just in house rebrands?

Didnt Mr Whyte also design the frames?

Sorry for all the questions feel Free to chip in with any interesting info!

Last edited:
There were so many different FS models around this period it's difficult to keep track of them all, but I'll have a go...

XC from entry to high end
Shoreline trail
East peak
Rift zone
Mount vision
Mount vision pro

Trail/DH - don't really know the order of these, I think it possibly varied year on year
B17
Wolf ridge
Wildcat trail
Rock springs
Attack trail

Suspension platform was single pivot up to about 2003, then changed to quad link 1, with quad link 2 (which is bloody awesome) coming in around 2006-2011. As far as I know, John Whyte designed all of these.

The ovation parts I've used have been fine and looked alright - I'd put them roughly on a par with Alivio level Shimano parts.

Not seen many Whyte parts, the older cranksets look really nice though.

IMO the 1997-2000 FS Marins are pretty much the peak of decent mainstream XC FS bikes from this period. I've got a 2000 Mount Vision and love it.

What bikes have you got then?

Thank you!
And I agree, I love all three of mine.

Weirdly my East Peak is the lightest :/ (12.3)
probably down to tyres?

I have a 2000 Rock Springs with 1x10 Zee and X Vert dual stanchion shocks.
A 2000 Wolf Ridge mish-mash which isn’t quite ready to run yet, needs a headset.
A 95% original 2003 East Peak which I just love, it’s set up brilliantly, rear air shock and just goes so well. Thread here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/picked-up-this-lovely-bargain-boinger.481439/#post-3600999

All were around £50-£100 in various states…

Last edited:
I guess the monocoque frame from 2003 could be a tad lighter than the round tubing 2000 frames?

But yeah, tyres make a massive difference too!

Back