Another P7…. was a 1995 racer, will be a PMX

markoc

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So, I did another Orange thing….

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a small Orange frame to have a bit of a play with, and have ended up spending a bit more than I wanted - however the spec on this should see a few quid returned to the Kitty as I transform it over the next few months.

It’s going to be a PMX. Single ring up front, but geared at the rear. Possibly some silly front forks, and definitely BMX bars.

I was drawn in by the Onza brakes - which I thought would be perfect for my incoming GT (from South Africa, a whole different story) but always a gamble with these, and the fronts are toast. I bid a decent amount on eBay and got it for a pretty reasonable amount. Then drove a 350 mile round trip in a thirsty V8 to pick it up from a really lovely guy who had bought it from his boss. His boss was either a wannabe racer, or specced a very nice bike - lots of British kit and shiny stuff from 1995 era. It doesn’t look like it’s had too hard a life. Frame has a sticker from Psycho bikes in Battersea I think but need to have a proper look. I’m guessing it was specced off the shelf as a frame and a bespoke build.

This pic is as I collected it (having put it back together after taking it to bits to get it in the boot of my thoroughly impractical transportation)

IMG_9150.jpeg

So here’s the spec. Some bits will need to find themselves in the for sales to fund its transformation - so if there’s anything you like, let me know

Frame: 1995 Orange P7

Fork: Manitou Mach 5 SX, moves and stanchions look decent

Headset: Shimano LX
Stem: Control Tech with an Xlite cap
Handlebar: Club Roost GoFast - cut down (why?)
Grips: Onza Ules, clear - in good nick
End Caps : XLite

Brake Levers : DiaCompe SS5/7 with XLite barrel adjusters
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chillpill
Brakes : Onza HO (front cracked obvs, rear good). Front XLite purple bolts, annoyingly worn. Correct Onza straddle wires (!)

Shifters: Shimano LX triggers, XLite black pods
Front Derailleur: Shiny Mavic something or other - need to investigate
Rear Derailleur: Equally shiny Mavic something or other. Stamped “made in France”
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: Knackered
Cranks: Cook Bros
Crank Bolts: Self extracting but not sure what?
Chainrings: Pace x3 with very little wear
Bottom Bracket: Hope
Pedals: Shimano
Cage : Ringle H20

Hub Skewers: Hope mk1
Rims: Mavic 230 tib gold
Hubs: Shimano STX
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Continental Falling Apart

Saddle: Flite Ti (1995 stamp)
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: XLite

Let the games begin!!

odd mix of bits, i'd say the front mech is stx or stx-rc as opposed to mavic though, i think i have a spare nickel stalk post around if you want a hint of originality.

I raced a Matt black P7 when I was a lot younger. Really loved the fit on it. Is it me or are those cranks quite long? Could just be the angle of the photo…

Cooks (175mm) are already gone to an RB'er as they're too good for what I have planned (ratty build), and the Onza brakes have too as I have other plans in that respect. A few other bits will probably be sold to fund the rest of the plan (stem, bars, post)

The front mech is indeed STX, but I'll be moving to a 1x setup (not sure is singlespeed yet).

In truth it's too small for me as an XC rider, but as a PMX fun bike it should be able to be thrown around a bit.

odd mix of bits, i'd say the front mech is stx or stx-rc as opposed to mavic though, i think i have a spare nickel stalk post around if you want a hint of originality.

Thanks, I'll be putting a BMX short stem on this one - it's going to be a fun build!

Back