Another Kona Hei Hei - build #1p7 #2p9 ++

Very nice.

I am a big fan of black seatposts but that silver post does look right with the build. And if you are able to try different posts, not all posts are the exact size marked on them, then that may help.

DB1D7F30-086F-4E15-A673-06AA9174DB88.jpeg

Todays 50km around the forest and the first time this has properly been put through it paces. It’s good.

I need the stubbie barends, that super flat bar was killing my wrists. Rapid rise rear mech makes total sense, even climbing on the barends a quick flick of the front facing trigger to effortlessly downshift!

Love it.

So now time for a change, I’m going 1x11 - I just don’t need the granny ring, in the lowest gear you could literally ride up the wall, the problem is traction and not lifting the front-end.

I’ll do some proper pics for the archive when it’s clean, then on to find some modern xt/xtr 11 spd, finally sort the tubeless out and I reckon it’ll be lighter, better and even quicker…

Build spec version #1

Frame: 18” 93 Kona Hei Hei

Fork: p2 triple butted powder coated gloss black

Headset: tange
Stem: control tech 135mm
Handlebar: Raleigh titanium
Grips: yeti clear
Barends: xlite stubbie silver

Brakes: xtr m950
Brake Pads: cheapies
Brake Cables: jag wire
Brake Levers: xtr m950

Shifters: xtr m950
Front Derailleur: xtr m950
Rear Derailleur: xtr m950-GS
Derailleur Cables: jagwire
Cassette: hg50
Chain: pg870
Cranks: middleburn rs7
Crank Bolts: stridsland
Chainrings: middleburn
Chainring bolts: stridsland
Bottom Bracket: shimano un51
Pedals: crank bros egg beaters

Hub Skewers: hope
Rims: dt-Swiss rx4.1
Hubs: hope mono 3
Nipples: black
Spokes: black bladed, rear tied and soldered, front radial
Tyres: Rene herse humptulip ridge
Tubes: cheapies

Saddle: flite ti
Seatpost: use evo ti
Seatpost Binder: Kona
Bottle cage: king cage ti

Weight: 9.8kg

Last edited:
That's looking fantastic Ben!
I know we've met briefly, but how tall are you?! Strange comment/question I know, but i'm having a bit of a crisis with mine... I built it last weekend and it felt too small (i never got to that stage with your frame).
It felt like the drop to the bars was far too much, and i had too much post sticking out the frame. Your latest post has me questioning myself however, maybe i should give it another chance before i make a terrible mistake in moving it on!
Funny that my modern bike has loooaaads of dropper post showing, but it somehow doesn't matter on a modern geo enduro/trail bike. It seems to really matter on an old Kona! (especially to my weak wrists!)
P.S if you need a new home for those Middleburns you know where i am ;)

Haha. No worries Rich. 5’11”+ but I’ve got quite short legs, saddle height is 750mm, I can double check stem, reach and drop numbers in the morning if useful?

The position is quite ‘race’ but out on the trail it’s not too bad and I think with a change of bars and i’m doing not big miles on this, it’ll be fine.

Most of the m950 will be up for grabs but the middleburns are sticking around! :)

Thanks for the reply mate, this is Interesting, I'm 5ft 9 but with a long leg, and my saddle height is also 750! I think i will persevere with stem lengths and handlebars. I had considered trying to find a 19 but I now think it would be too long.
Look forward to seeing the new drivetrain on yours!

Thanks for the reply mate, this is Interesting, I'm 5ft 9 but with a long leg, and my saddle height is also 750! I think i will persevere with stem lengths and handlebars. I had considered trying to find a 19 but I now think it would be too long.
Look forward to seeing the new drivetrain on yours!
A few more numbers…
Stem 135mm 0’
Reach 570mm
Saddle to bar drop ~90mm

So it’s a bit longer and lower than my bike fit suggests, but they’re set up for all day comfort, not blasting around a forest for 2/3hrs…

I like the smaller agile feeling and happy to dial it in with stem lengths, saddle position. Just get a long steerer p2 so you can run some spacers (and not flat bars) for the back/wrists.

Awesome thanks mate. This helps a lot.
Trying to find a long steerer P2 is the challenge, I might run a Z2 fork which would raise the front end a bit, or if I get the fit bang on I could always get a fork made....
Oh the possibilities! 😁

Back