Anodising and RTS frame?

Not something I’ve ever considered needing to do but very interesting nonetheless!

It must be achievable as it’s already been done by the factory on so many bikes, but to what lengths you’d need to go to get a good finish sounds difficult for a one off.

Suspect the factory process must almost be clinical between finishing the frame and having it anodised. Sounds like any tiny contamination even fingerprints can ruin the job. https://www.alphametal.com/resources/before-you-anodize

This was discussed on a motorbike forum I used to frequent and it was determined that it was simply because aluminium ages unevenly, which means that the finish will not be even across the part. Back when Streetfighter magazine was popular and putting a trail bike headlamp on your crashed R1, then getting some skantily clad bird posing on it for a photoshoot seemed a good idea, it involved sanding the ano finish and polishing the frame, then rims, rearsets and whatever else. I ruined a good frame myself. Re-anodising years later just did not give good results. I considered trying this myself after good results with DIY steel plating but Dom's attempts stopped me just in time. I think that maybe the smaller the part the better the possible outcome but it still won't be factory fresh, only a higher chance of it being even. Aluminium components are also not pure aluminium so what shade one part might be, may not replicate on another. Research'aluminium and its alloys' to understand the difference between the main 2 we're interested in - 6061 and 7005. These are made with different other metals.
Just not worth it IMO, better to just polish it with Autosol / paint it / live with it how it is.

You guys are killing my vision, but appreciate the wisdom. It might not have been the best idea, but once it had entered into my mind, it's hard to shake.

Bits when I had my original, new rts-2 it put two guys noses out of joint. They were the sons of a millionaire, I was the son of someone who worked for their dad. How dare I have the same bike as them.

They got theirs anodised gold, yes gold. While they looked imo awful, like cheap jewellery, the finish was actually amazing, like factory.

The bikes were around 6 months old to a year and were originally painted in the bronze colour so with paint stripping, sanding and polishing, however they did it, worked really well. This was on 7005, not the 6061 us built frame that I own.

May have to park the idea :(

Last edited:
on the old southern downhill forum a guy called jason got some forks anodised in what he called iron man colours gold an red they looked awesome in the photos

Latest posts

Back