Announcement on shipping from the USA to the UK

Personally I always skip the insurance anyway, if it was a $400 frame then so be it, it is not the end of the world if it gets broken which given the 100's of USPS shipments I've had, all undamaged, seems unlikey.

If I was buying something for $1000+ then I accept it is going to cost a lot to insure that but the cost ratio is usually more palatable.

I pretty much always give the seller a disclaimer stating I'm forefeiting insurance.

From my end, USPS seem to work really really well, much better than our Royal Mail where the only way to guarantee they won't break it is to use the Special Delivery option, which is roughly the same as your Express.

shogun700":2bu135sx said:
I have a bit of 'inventory' stored up, I think I'll sell what I have left and find something else to do with my time. :cry:

Same here, man; same here :( :x
At least I will complete the few (half-dozen?!?!) builds I have to complete, and that will be it.

kaiser":2bu135sx said:
What about other couriers? How do they fit in?

Good question; the USPS rep stated that what he did, only about the UK, but he said if I wanted to check if the same restriction applies for any other countries, I can do it via their website. It should state, in red, "Insurance available for express only", or something like that :?

GoldenEraMTB":2ipkcbg9 said:
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share this bit of info, as I just learned something new today. I've shipped several dozen frames/bikes to the UK, and have always done so at a reasonable cost, sending it via USPS (United States Postal Service) "Priority Mail", so long as it has been kept below 108" total length plus girth, and I've always been able to insure it for whatever amount it was worth or the buyer wanted.

Today, that changed. I was informed, and later confirmed via the USPS website, that having started two weeks ago, large shipments from the USA to the UK, will have to be shipped via express mail (most expensive option of the usps offerings), if additional insurance beyond the minimal amount offered with priority mail, is desired.

So, if sending a $400 frame, priority mail will only cover it for $100, then you no longer have the option of buying the additional $300 worth of insurance, as was done in the past. Now if you need the full insurance, you must upgrade shipping method to express mail, at a cost of double and even triple the amount. For example- a frame can be shipped from NY to the UK, for around $80, give or take a few bucks, plus a few more bucks for additional insurance. Now, if you want additional insurance, you will have to upgrade to express service, which for that same frame will run you approximately $220.

Just an FYI. I think this was my last large shipment to the UK :evil: :( :x

I suspect you mean "Global Express" which is the most expensive option. Until roughly one month ago, we could ship frames via "Express Mail International" which was a pretty good service w/detailed tracking information. It costed a bit more than Priority Mail. Global Express is way too expensive.

I learned this too when I went to get a quote a few weeks ago....I have no idea why they changed it.

I think it's cool that we can still ship frames via Priority Mail. The tracking information we get w/this service is not very detailed - it gives us confirmation of delivery and that's about it.

klasse":16xep4l1 said:
GoldenEraMTB":16xep4l1 said:
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share this bit of info, as I just learned something new today. I've shipped several dozen frames/bikes to the UK, and have always done so at a reasonable cost, sending it via USPS (United States Postal Service) "Priority Mail", so long as it has been kept below 108" total length plus girth, and I've always been able to insure it for whatever amount it was worth or the buyer wanted.

Today, that changed. I was informed, and later confirmed via the USPS website, that having started two weeks ago, large shipments from the USA to the UK, will have to be shipped via express mail (most expensive option of the usps offerings), if additional insurance beyond the minimal amount offered with priority mail, is desired.

So, if sending a $400 frame, priority mail will only cover it for $100, then you no longer have the option of buying the additional $300 worth of insurance, as was done in the past. Now if you need the full insurance, you must upgrade shipping method to express mail, at a cost of double and even triple the amount. For example- a frame can be shipped from NY to the UK, for around $80, give or take a few bucks, plus a few more bucks for additional insurance. Now, if you want additional insurance, you will have to upgrade to express service, which for that same frame will run you approximately $220.

Just an FYI. I think this was my last large shipment to the UK :evil: :( :x

I suspect you mean "Global Express" which is the most expensive option. Until roughly one month ago, we could ship frames via "Express Mail International" which was a pretty good service w/detailed tracking information. It costed a bit more than Priority Mail. Global Express is way too expensive.

I learned this too when I went to get a quote a few weeks ago....I have no idea why they changed it.

I think it's cool that we can still ship frames via Priority Mail. The tracking information we get w/this service is not very detailed - it gives us confirmation of delivery and that's about it.

I, too, think it's cool that it is still available, but there definitely needs to be trust between the seller and buyer, to ensure all goes well. Otherwise, without the additional insurance and additional tracking (like the tracer option) that comes with it, things can get messy, quickly.

GoldenEraMTB":nnpsugbg said:
I, too, think it's cool that it is still available, but there definitely needs to be trust between the seller and buyer, to ensure all goes well. Otherwise, without the additional insurance and additional tracking (like the tracer option) that comes with it, things can get messy, quickly.

yes, amen to that

Back