Announcement on shipping from the USA to the UK

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share this bit of info, as I just learned something new today. I've shipped several dozen frames/bikes to the UK, and have always done so at a reasonable cost, sending it via USPS (United States Postal Service) "Priority Mail", so long as it has been kept below 108" total length plus girth, and I've always been able to insure it for whatever amount it was worth or the buyer wanted.

Today, that changed. I was informed, and later confirmed via the USPS website, that having started two weeks ago, large shipments from the USA to the UK, will have to be shipped via express mail (most expensive option of the usps offerings), if additional insurance beyond the minimal amount offered with priority mail, is desired.

So, if sending a $400 frame, priority mail will only cover it for $100, then you no longer have the option of buying the additional $300 worth of insurance, as was done in the past. Now if you need the full insurance, you must upgrade shipping method to express mail, at a cost of double and even triple the amount. For example- a frame can be shipped from NY to the UK, for around $80, give or take a few bucks, plus a few more bucks for additional insurance. Now, if you want additional insurance, you will have to upgrade to express service, which for that same frame will run you approximately $220.

Just an FYI. I think this was my last large shipment to the UK :evil: :( :x

Thanks for this info. I have been wondering how to ship a bike to the EU myself. I am considering selling my Xizang and wanted to offer an EU shipping option if it was reasonable. Wll a complete bike fit into a 108" girth box? How much has that run for you in the past? Or is it better to ship in a couple smaller boxes to save costs?

TIA.

bryanus":18k5ety9 said:
Thanks for this info. I have been wondering how to ship a bike to the EU myself. I am considering selling my Xizang and wanted to offer an EU shipping option if it was reasonable. Wll a complete bike fit into a 108" girth box? How much has that run for you in the past? Or is it better to ship in a couple smaller boxes to save costs?

TIA.

Happy to help. Some countries have a smaller max girth limit, (like 78" for Brazil, Australia, and Mexico), which makes shipping a frame, much less a whole bike, an expensive and somewhat painful proposition, as you would have to use one of the premium carriers like Fed Ex or UPS, at a cost of approximately $700 for an entire bike.

As for shipping to most countries in the EU, (don't know about France or Greece), they go by the girth plus length 108" max standard. You cannot fit an entire bike, with 26" wheels in a box that size. The most affordable way to do it would be to send it in two boxes; one for the wheels, and the other for the rest. An entire bike, minus the wheels, with proper packaging will cost approximately $120 usd to send, with the wheels in a nice wheel box, costing approximately $80. So for $200 you can send an entire bike, via priority mail, which takes about 10 days, on average to arrive.
Buying the appropriate insurance to go along with that, was never a problem in the past, and would only cost an addition $5 to $10 dollars. Now that has changed.

At least to the UK, by the way the usps rep explained it, the uk has decided it's postal service will no longer insure packages, that exceed a certain size and value. The only way to fully insure a pricer frame/bike is to send it via the usps express mail option, which is famed out to Fed Ex, and cost two to three times as much-then they will ensure it for the full amount; it will get there a couple days earlier.

From my experience, I've found most people are skint to pay the additional shipping cost; wanting to stick the US seller with the bill, which isn't cool, in my book.

The other side of this, I have many repeat buyers and friends that are willing to assume the risk, knowing that I package things very well, and have yet to lose an part/bike/frame/etc going overseas, so the odds of it arriving safely are good to great. This way, I'm able to save them substantially on shipping charges, but get it in writing that they are ok without the additional insurance.

Hope this has helped.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, I officially give up. :cry:

First the rates went up, then Ebay tracking requirements eliminated USPS First Class as an economical shipping option for small items, then I learned USPS Priority Small Flat Rate boxes and envelopes are technically considered First Class mail and there is no real tracking, so that went out the window. Then they added a requirement that for any item valued over $250, signature confirmation must be included-except that signature confirmation isn't even available to many countries. To top it off, Ebay's fee structure changed and the final value fee now includes the shipping price-effectively penalizing me for shipping large items like bikes and frames :? :twisted:

I do believe my days of splitting bikes and sharing the parts globally are at an end, unfortunately. Too bad USPS can't find a better way to increase profitability than cutting services-I know most of the post offices I go to are staffed with geriatric mouth-breathers who can barely handle envelopes, and it's hard to make money when you are paying them top wages and fat pensions. I don't blame them for a nice paycheck, but at least do your job.

This sucks.

shogun700":3cxwig84 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, I officially give up. :cry:

First the rates went up, then Ebay tracking requirements eliminated USPS First Class as an economical shipping option for small items, then I learned USPS Priority Small Flat Rate boxes and envelopes are technically considered First Class mail and there is no real tracking, so that went out the window. Then they added a requirement that for any item valued over $250, signature confirmation must be included-except that signature confirmation isn't even available to many countries. To top it off, Ebay's fee structure changed and the final value fee now includes the shipping price-effectively penalizing me for shipping large items like bikes and frames :? :twisted:

I do believe my days of splitting bikes and sharing the parts globally are at an end, unfortunately. Too bad USPS can't find a better way to increase profitability than cutting services-I know most of the post offices I go to are staffed with geriatric mouth-breathers who can barely handle envelopes, and it's hard to make money when you are paying them top wages and fat pensions. I don't blame them for a nice paycheck, but at least do your job.

This sucks.

Will, I hear you!

It's nuts; ebay has lost it...probably a while ago. I'm seriously thinking about using Amazon or just keeping everything here on RB, and finding another means of completing transactions, outside of paypal. Many banks are now allowing money transfers/payments directly into your accounts; making it possible to sell directly, without merchant fees, but the seller has to trust the buyer.

Today, I spent two hours at the local post office, cause the workers blew me off, then I decided to call usps customer service right there, at the post office, and that where I finally got the full explanation as to some of the new rules/restrictions.

This should not be happening. The global market place should be expanding and flowing with more ease, in 2012. Ebay wants to minimize losses (payouts to unhappy customers), and maximize profits (on the back of the ebay faithful community). It's time to break up their practical monopoly; there has to be another option to two- headed ebay/paypal monster.

GoldenEraMTB":2n817uby said:
This should not be happening. The global market place should be expanding and flowing with more ease, in 2012. Ebay wants to minimize losses (payouts to unhappy customers), and maximize profits (on the back of the ebay faithful community). It's time to break up their practical monopoly; there has to be another option to two- headed ebay/paypal monster.

Totally agree....ebay wants so desperately to be Amazon.com that they don't even understand the backbone of their business, nor do they care. At this point it almost seems like anyone selling used stuff is being pushed out the back door. They want the buyer to feel like they are getting something from a retail store, period.

Every new rule puts more responsibility on the seller, yet they try to frame it like it's a benefit. The obsession with free shipping was just the tip of the iceberg-now we have the 1-day handling requirement PLUS 14 day returns just to get the 'top rated seller' discount. Free shipping is garbage-every other online retailer tacks the shipping charges on at the very end, and you barely even know what you are paying until just before checkout-and it's usually a huge rip-off. Why ebay makes it such a primary focus is beyond me.

I can't understand how a company with no inventory and no liability can take almost $20 of every $100 I sell and not be the most profitable outfit this side of exxon/mobil.....

Another fun little tidbit-when you are selling internationally, you are subject to the rules and regulations of the the local ebay site. Shipping to Germany? Great! Can you read and understand German? No? Too bad! If a buyer files a claim, you'll be using Google translate to try and respond to it, and good luck getting it sorted.

The problem with trying to get around the ebay monster is that so many people now earn most/all of their money by selling on there, ebay basically has them by the balls...where else can they go? Plus it's become a standard point of reference for pricing any vintage item, how do you break that monopoly? It's like how ancestry.com owns that market-they were there first, built the database, became the link to multiple sources of information, and now it's just the go-to source for tracing family history.

I have a bit of 'inventory' stored up, I think I'll sell what I have left and find something else to do with my time. :cry:

There are length limits when sending International parcels out of the UK via the Post Office. I helped a guy in the US (and the seller), as they were finding it impossible to get a motorcycle team umbrella out of the UK.

I had it delivered to me (happy seller) and a quick google search found any number of agencies who would courier it to the US. I didn't even have to pay, as I got the transaction charged direct to the guy who wanted the umbrella.

It is not just bike parts that will be affected by the USPS changes. I have bought a lot of compound bows from the US over the years (I was even a factory shooter at one point). This price increase will effectively kill that trade overnight, as a decent bow, even second hand, can easily be worth $400 to $500.

Years ago, way before e-mail, I used to buy car parts from the US. All communications were either by phone or fax and I used to send money either using a credit card and several faxes, or using companies like Nochex, or whatever the equivalent was.

Paypal does have a couple of (much smaller) rivals, perhaps they would be happy for the business that it appears ebay / paypal don't care for any longer.

Where there's a will and all that.

What about other couriers? How do they fit in?

kaiser":29g6sn5e said:
What about other couriers? How do they fit in?

Unfortunately, UPS and FedEX are at least double (and frequently more) the cost of shipping via USPS. USPS piggybacks international shipments on commercial airliners, the others have their own planes and such, I assume that's why it's such a huge advantage.

Interesting comments Neil-as GoldenEra said, the world somehow seems to be closing down, right when it should be opening up. I hate to say it but all over the world, 'middle class' regular folk are finding that activities and services that used to be accessible to everyone are being priced beyond affordability.

I guess we are all just supposed to stay home and watch the telly all day........

The other side also after sending a recent package us to uk

With so much going "missing" people are now making sure the insurance is at the right amount..so when hitting customs and excise in the u.k. it's like an automatic admission it is valueable to they are allowed to take a slice

There are ways around it of course but that comes with risk

Back