And today I did......

I'm with RobMac, old cars and bikes may not be all singing, all dancing but repairing it yourself is possible even for folk as mechanically inept as me. :roll:

Dr S":24gulaih said:
kaiser":24gulaih said:
Today the car broke down :evil: looks like the idler/tensioner bearing has went. Had to get towed home and I've a feeling this will no be cheap to fix. Gone are my days of spannerin under the bunnet.

My winter smoker Alfa did that last week. Seized idler due to lack of use. Ended up changing the cam belt, tensioner, idler, balance shaft belt and tensioner and the drive belt, idler and tensioner. Total came to £392. Add that to the £650 it cost to get it through an MOT last month, £100ish for tax. Bastard thing is only worth about £700.

feckin cars eh? waste of bike money :evil:

I wouldnae mind something as nice as the Alfa, the auld focus disnae really inspire you know.

I did have a look at it and reckoned I could have done but I just cannae be ersed :oops:

I've had a notion for a new car recently anyway, can't decide what would be the ideal bike bus though? I've a few ideas but all quite extreme.

What would your ideal mode of transport be? Include pics :)

Bond Bug of course :LOL:

Work PC wont let me post a picture but we all know they're the three wheeled car, orange in colour and shaped lika a wedge of cheese ;)
[/url]

Could be worse K, could have been the cam belt and the financial misery that comes when one of them goes. Doesn't the Focus have a really good reputation as a driver's car? Surely much worse motors that you could be tootling aboot in.

Hmm, ideal 'you can only have one car for biking and driving money no object'? Probably a Subaru Legacy estate, one of the rapid ones.

Retro bike retro car, but still with sensible hat on? Mid 80's MB w123 300TD estate with roofrack.

Been thinking about getting a 2nd car for bike duties and commuting funnily enough. Probably won't bother, but I keep looking at Audi A2s and Honda Jazz's online :oops:

Velo espesh for you :D

bond_bug.jpg

zigzag":3vspy66z said:
Could be worse K, could have been the cam belt and the financial misery that comes when one of them goes. Doesn't the Focus have a really good reputation as a driver's car? Surely much worse motors that you could be tootling aboot in.

Hmm, ideal 'you can only have one car for biking and driving money no object'? Probably a Subaru Legacy estate, one of the rapid ones.

Retro bike retro car, but still with sensible hat on? Mid 80's MB w123 300TD estate with roofrack.

Been thinking about getting a 2nd car for bike duties and commuting funnily enough. Probably won't bother, but I keep looking at Audi A2s and Honda Jazz's online :oops:

TBH its no a bad car at all, just lacks excitement. It has been cheap to run and fix, fairly reliable and as you say for what it is the drive is pretty good. Sometimes you just hanker after summat special.

I can swallow the Legacy and the merc is one of the cars I've thought of. Then you go and ruin it with yer a2's and jazz's :LOL: Actually something small and economical with a tow bar rack was considered and would be the smart choice or go full munter and get one of those pensioner vans :eek:

For a bike bus I want to go for a VW Transporter next - the touran is a little small. I hope to get one with 6 seats and rear windows. If we don't go bigger we will go for 2 small cars which will save on petrol and tax for short trips but give us flexibility when I want the car for bike days.

Sportline%20Front_3.jpg

kaiser":nmjj8g7b said:
I've had a notion for a new car recently anyway, can't decide what would be the ideal bike bus though? I've a few ideas but all quite extreme.

What would your ideal mode of transport be? Include pics :)

I'm looking for an Audi RS6 Avant as I'm sick of the van now. The heater is pants and as i'm going further afield these days its just not on anymore.

Velomaniac":nmjj8g7b said:
I'm with RobMac, old cars and bikes may not be all singing, all dancing but repairing it yourself is possible even for folk as mechanically inept as me.

You can make them dance of course. I've just been looking at the lap records for the Nurburgring. My Alfa comes in quicker than a Aston DBS, Ferrari 550 Maranello and several BMW M series cars. If we can find another 10 seconds it will be in the top 50 times. Mad thing is, as a 1972 built car its only 32 seconds off Jacky Ickx's Formula one record set in the same year.
Goes to show what you can do with spanners and a little creative tinkering :cool:

Back