And today I did......

Hawmaw":14ua4dnc said:
technodup":14ua4dnc said:
Yesterday, and another failed Gumtree bid. GT Avalanche 3.0 for £20, third person to view it and still too late :(

Not my day really.

I got the GT. Probably not the bargain it appears.

Said GT is finished with bits from the parts bin , stuff robbed from my other bikes , forks off here and the only brand new bit , a headset from CRC.

PICT0055.jpg

Today i did a bike comparison test of a mid 80's highish end rigid and a late 90's lowish end short travel hardtail. Why you might ask, well its because I've just built both bikes up and have not ridden either plus i needed to decide which one to take to the Blairadam mudfest on Sunday :D

80's bike is a Centurion Starlight which is also a Diamondback Apex as both companies have the same parent company. As usual no pics, you'll see it one day, possibly for Mr P's highland adventure. This bike has slack geometry, DB Tange Chromo tubes, rigid forks, U-Brake and an early Suntour Mountech rear mech for interest sake, plus big wide MX bars :LOL: Took it out around my Blairadamish local trails and thought this is really cool, very upright, nice lazy handling but due to rear bias had a tendency to wash out the front on corners and required chucking your weight way forward for climbs. This is going to be great thinks I, the 90's bike is a cheapo hunk of junk, it cant compete :cool:

90's bike is a Claud Butler Spirit circa 1997 equipped with short travel basic suntour forks, rear screw on freewheel wheels, plain gauge chromo frame so not particularly light and V-brakes. Geometry is classic late 90's XC so less rear bias. So off we go and yes the weight is noticeable but at the first leap off a curb the handling raises its head and tells me that it is spot on. It was a joy to chuck this thing through the trees, you power up climbs and belt down hill without qualms, brakes knock canti's for six. You want to go for it with the head down XC pose. I know my neck will pay for it post ride but the Spirit wins it, its just a way better XC bike than the Starlight but the older bike I bet will be better on a long day out as regards comfort :D

So the Spirit will be seen at Blairadam, I just hope its riders on form :roll:

Took the Breezer for a 50 mile mixed road/offroad spin around Arran in glorious sunshine :cool:

Coffee n cake stop at the Lochranza cafe/hut :D

Sore legs now....................

DSCF3807.jpg

DSCF3812.jpg

DSCF3815.jpg

DSCF3821.jpg

:D

Sounds similar to the 2 day beer fueled trip I did a couple of weeks back, did you go and see the 300,000,000 year old centipede tracks just up from Laggan Cottage? The hill up from that was a bit of a bitch, and that was on foot.

Went to the museum yesterday, didn't expect to see much in the way in the way of retrobikes... but who else really wants a shot on this?!

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

Today I went for a wee hurl round the Gleniffer Braes above Paisley. It was the 'dales first outing since Drumlanrig.

Went east from the Robertson carpark , across SergeantLaw Rd and across to the golf course. Then headed over to Gleniffer dam and up the hill between that and Harelaw dam. The climb up to the cairn was steep and had to be pushed up but the way back down was a hoot.

Looking east towards Glasgow
IMG_0546.jpg

Look Ma ! Top of the world....
GlenifferBraes5.jpg

Re-tracing our tracks we were negotiating a rocky muddy path beside a burn when my front wheel made a dead stop on a big rock. I went otb and the poor bike suffered a broken mech hanger resulting in a 3 mile walk back to the car !
GlenifferBraes2.jpg

If you remove the mech using allen keys to remove the back plate you can run it big ring to big ring.Not ideal but it saves walking ;)

Back