And today I did......

Re:

Did 22 miles on the bike then walked 16 miles as part of training for a charity event in May.

Long day .....................

Liking the Scot very much Mr P :)
You cant escape the darkside Velo ;)
Good effort Rob, whats the charity event?

Jamie

Jamiedyer":x7gog531 said:
Good effort Rob, whats the charity event?

Jamie

A few of us at work missed a place in the Maggie's event so were doing the same distance off our own backs and were using the Fife coast to do it. Were leaving Dalgety Bay (my work place) on the bikes to Elie then walking to St Andrews. Were giving our funds to cancer research and a local kids home.

Nice day so out for a walk with Sharron. Parked at the beach and walked 5 miles along the coastal path to Arbroath. Full of good intentions of the return journey but after a fish supper and ice cream, neither of us could quite be arsed so got the bus home. That meant I had to bike down to pick up the car. Only 3 miles but gave me a chance to test out the new brake levers on the Delta V. Been slowly picking up Coda branded parts to compliment the bike and the levers were the last part I was looking for. Admittedly they are only Dia Compe levers with Coda on them, but they match the brake arms and the brake feel is actually much better. Previously the back brake was very on off, but now feels more progressive. They are NOS as well so look perfect. Said it before but I'm pretty sure the bikes finished now.

Put gears on my singlespeed 1x1 a la Trivelox.

The cogs float on the freehub, but there's a clamp on each side to hold them in place.

To change gear, loosen off the clamps and slide the required cog into the chain line (obviously the wheel position will have to be adjusted too).

For where there's a big difference in tooth count, I've put in a removable section of chain.

So now the bike is ready for the SSEC this week, and I won't need to take any special tools to swap cogs around.

I can't help thinking there must be a way to automate this. That would need some sort of device to take up the chain tension, but as it would have to dangle down where it could be damaged, it wouldn't be a sensible solution.... :)

bike and hike myself, nice ride into Cornish then Ben Lui and two of her pals. Long day in the hills under blue blue skies. there's still a fair bit of snow (ice really) in the north corries on the West of the country, a lot more than we saw up east last week

shoulder to the summit Ben Lui by gmac123, on Flickr

epicyclo":2pvvqytt said:
I can't help thinking there must be a way to automate this. That would need some sort of device to take up the chain tension, but as it would have to dangle down where it could be damaged, it wouldn't be a sensible solution.... :)

You're right, that would be an awful idea - bound to get whacked by rocks and bent by big sticks. Now, if only someone could figure out a way to stick the gears inside the hub shell :)

Just back from a wee pre-lunch loop (14ish miles) on the roadster myself, headwind on the way home which I try and avoid but living where I do that kind of limits my options sometimes!

I've been using my road bike most of the past week - it does go like a rocket but the difference in ride comfort when swapping to the roadster is an immediate shock (even if I'm not 100% happy with the saddle)

Love that idea with the floating cogs :D but it there anyway to index them so you put it in exactly the correct spot each time.
Maybe a couple of datum marks :? Something to line up as its more critical with 1x1 :?

Back