And now for something completely different......

Ska!

Retro Newbie
Just thought I'd share this one with you and possibly give some of you ideas for your next fundraiser/event etc.

The story for this bike's inspiration is long with a very unhappy ending so I will spare all the details in that regard but I will say that it all came about after the passing of our good friends' daughter (Reilly). She lost her battle to an aggressive form of leukemia. She was only 2 years and 8 months old.

Her father approached me to take part in The Ride To Conquer Cancer which we did last year and raised just over $44,000 (cdn) as a team (personally just over 2,500). For this year's event I came up with an idea to help generate interest and seeing as it's using old school goods I felt I would share it here and possibly give others the idea of doing the same.

I had an idea, parts, and a plan, now I just needed to make it happen.

Step on: I found this old beater (another buddy handed it over after hearing what I was up to (thanks JAMES!!)) and found it was in good shape after looking past all the crud and shitty parts. A good solid, non-coroded steel beast of a Nishiki. Still straight too!!
nish1.jpg

Old bits needed to come off....
nish2.jpg

nish4.jpg

Then came a whole bunch of digging for my spare parts. After cold-setting the rear drops for proper modern-day spacing and ensuring the alignment was still good and figuring out the whole old school vs new school derailleur hanger issues (long story) I got the mockup done.

1X9 baby...
nish5.jpg

nish3.jpg

It's fully functional. Straight through the entire range of gears even when pressed hard. Granted, the bike won't be raced at all but on the test rides, I didn't hold anything back. After all, it will carry me over 200kms for the event and up some fairly good climbs so....
nish6.jpg

So, after the mockup and test rides, I tore it all down again and spent quite a bit of time stripping the paint off for the final leg of the project, and my of my vision. I prepped, primed and painted the frame completely black.
fb3-1.jpg

It was then that I purchased some yellow paint markers to write all the names, or messages of those who sponsor me for the ride. I thought it would be a great way for my sponsors to show their support and a great way to attract attention for the cause and so far it's working well.

Of course Reilly's name adorns the steertube.
fb1.jpg

The bike is slowly getting covered in names and money is being raised for one of the best causes I can think of. Helping my friends deal with their loss is a major inspiration and a bonus as well.

Here's a older pic of the progress so you get an idea...
update.jpg

The bike is now far more covered and I've raised $2,170 so far. It's going great. The bike is on display at one of our local bike shops and that's helping as well.
IMG-20110211-00002.jpg

So there you have it. What I wanted to share.... Hopefully, some of you will dig out one of those old buried bikes and bring the fight back out of it. Use it in the same way and generate some attention for whatever cause you hold dear. Or, if nothing else, just ride it.

For the record; this bike wheelies like a CHAMP!!! Gotta love that seat tube angle.

Here's the parts list that made it happen.
Nishiki Sport frame/fork
Standard HD/quil
Old Kore flat bars
Odi lock-on grip
XO Shifter/Rear Der.
XTR Cassette
Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Hutchison Fusion tires
Campy Chorus cranks/ring
PC 991 Chain
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Pedals will be time ATAC for the actual ride.
Lastly, a cheesy old seat post.

VOILA!

This bike is REALLY fun to ride. Hope you enjoyed that as much as I did putting this bike together. It's going to be treat riding it for the cause. Cheers and thanks for reading!

Steve

What a fantastic idea. On seeing that first picture of it painted black I thought "oh no I much prefer it in the original red/white" but then saw the yellow writing, and the idea of all the sponsors names written on it is a great one.

Well done, and enjoy the ride.

AR-CoolC":17gesum6 said:
What a fantastic idea. On seeing that first picture of it painted black I though "oh no I much prefer it in the original red/white" but then saw the yellow writing, and the idea of all the sponsors names written on it is a great one.

Well done, and enjoy the ride.

Thanks! Yeah, when I saw it built up in that colour I too thought it looked pretty good. But, I had to make the change to get the job done. I'm happy with how it turned out. Had it not been for the specific reasons, and just something I was doing as a side project, I'd have ridden it in its original paint.

I'm very glad I did what I did though. Fun bike!

Good ideas aplenty

Numerous good ideas in there

The best one: Sharing

Good luck with the rest of the venture!

Sweet bike, and for a great cause. Children just shouldn't die before their parents. That leukemia is a real beeatch.

A sad tale but glad you are doing something very positive to help others in the same situation. Cool way to turn the bike around too.

You should post up sponsorship details, sure people on here would be willing to help out.

My wifes first born died of leukemia when he was four....I will sponsor you abit if you post some details up :cry:

Back