Aluminum frames: the brown furniture of Cycling?

hey greasemonkey, please start a new topic on this ss yer getting ! is it kva or reynolds 9 err something ?
where from ? taylor made ? are all the tubes straight and round ? bb shell ? how much ? weight?

Grease Monkey":yj1exna6 said:
I've recently sold all my carbon and am awaiting a 1000gr stainless steel ride in the spring.

who makes a 1000gr stainless frame? makes mine look a bit bloated :(

A good alu frame is great - its not just about weight. If the science and research has been invested in it, it will compete with any carbon frame. So cannondales, giant tcrs, principias, kenesis are all desirable. Dead-feeling cheap alu frames have given them a reputation of being unforgiving and harsh and no more than throwaway consumables. Like someone else said, those cheapo carbon bikes sold to a budget by the mail order chains will go the same way.
Anything with glue and bonding has no desirability on the used market cos of the reputation and possibility of failure (unless it has a special following like Alan or Vitus)

I hope aluminium frames are worth having as I've invested quite a few £££s in a CYFAC Proxidium that I intend to build up in time for spring...I have a couple of steel framed Raleighs that i love to bits, but sometimes you ned to invite some modernity into your life!

I'm getting a frame built from KVA Stainless, no paint, silver soldered, round tubing.
Keeping the builder under wraps at the moment but he assures me a build of 950-980gr is possible for frame only, and that this is just the start of Stainless building, the only way is lighter...

The 953 madison-genesis bike that Deano rode last year was very nice. 953 is no cheap option though

Haha! I'd sooner road test it before I recommend it on here. Word on the wire is that Columbus are bringing out an even lighter (and stronger 250Kn) tubeset in April and it'll be being bomb proof tested in the Giro. Cant wait, carbon is SO 2012!

Donny Dee":2lwipkey said:
I'm getting a frame built from KVA Stainless, no paint, silver soldered, round tubing.
Keeping the builder under wraps at the moment but he assures me a build of 950-980gr is possible for frame only, and that this is just the start of Stainless building, the only way is lighter...

I look forward to seeing it,but it is still 300 gr more than a light carbon frame like a canyon or argon 18.i guess that frame will be over £2000,which makes it about £400 more than the mentioned carbon. I think steel still has some way to go to catch up

Back