Aluminium E stay bargain for retrobiker North London

Most of an XTR groupset for £40, I don't think the frame matters too much !
I agree, but I felt obliged to point out the cracking issue for safety's sake.

Persuade the seller to delist as some doogooder will pip you to the post mate
I should have messaged seller last night when I first saw this, but better late than never, I just now informed seller of the possibility of cracks. My message to seller:

I'm a collector and I have several of this exact style of bike, and I feel obligated to let you know that this particular aluminum frame design is prone to cracking, either directly under the saddle along the weld lines, or hairline cracks on the head tube, either top-down or bottom-up, or both. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it definitely is. Can you tell if this one has cracked? It would definitely be a selling point if it was NOT cracked, as they are quite hard to find in un-cracked condition, but it would be a safety issue it it WERE cracked. If it's not cracked, it's likely that the suspension fork is what has prevented that from happening. The parts alone are well worth your asking price, so I don't think you'll have any trouble selling this, but a cracked frame has the potential to fail catastrophically thus putting the rider in danger and should be noted if it's true. Just my two cents. Thanks for your time.

Sorry to all bargain hunters if you think I've let you down, but just imagine a novice rider (who just got a bargain on a 1990's racing MTB) powering down a hill towards a busy street when suddenly the head tube gives way. Hopefully the seller will update the listing to detail any cracks, or lack thereof, and leave his asking price as is, then at least the issue will have been addressed. I've met a few less-than-scrupulous, uncaring mercenaries on Craigslist attempting to sell me a bike that was so cracked that I didn't dare even throw a leg over it, and they continued to list it, but I've also seen eBay listings wherein the seller confirmed cracks, thanked me for my inquiry, and modified the listing. Such is the danger of being a sucker for (falling in love with) an aluminum Nishiki e-stay.

Safety first ! (I sound like an old man because, well, I AM an old man, but I balance it out by being very immature. Just ask anyone).

Theres a frame involved ? :oops:
I agree, but I felt obliged to point out the cracking issue for safety's sake.

I should have messaged seller last night when I first saw this, but better late than never, I just now informed seller of the possibility of cracks. My message to seller:

I'm a collector and I have several of this exact style of bike, and I feel obligated to let you know that this particular aluminum frame design is prone to cracking, either directly under the saddle along the weld lines, or hairline cracks on the head tube, either top-down or bottom-up, or both. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it definitely is. Can you tell if this one has cracked? It would definitely be a selling point if it was NOT cracked, as they are quite hard to find in un-cracked condition, but it would be a safety issue it it WERE cracked. If it's not cracked, it's likely that the suspension fork is what has prevented that from happening. The parts alone are well worth your asking price, so I don't think you'll have any trouble selling this, but a cracked frame has the potential to fail catastrophically thus putting the rider in danger and should be noted if it's true. Just my two cents. Thanks for your time.

Sorry to all bargain hunters if you think I've let you down, but just imagine a novice rider (who just got a bargain on a 1990's racing MTB) powering down a hill towards a busy street when suddenly the head tube gives way. Hopefully the seller will update the listing to detail any cracks, or lack thereof, and leave his asking price as is, then at least the issue will have been addressed. I've met a few less-than-scrupulous, uncaring mercenaries on Craigslist attempting to sell me a bike that was so cracked that I didn't dare even throw a leg over it, and they continued to list it, but I've also seen eBay listings wherein the seller confirmed cracks, thanked me for my inquiry, and modified the listing. Such is the danger of being a sucker for (falling in love with) an aluminum Nishiki e-stay.

Safety first ! (I sound like an old man because, well, I AM an old man, but I balance it out by being very immature. Just ask anyone).
Was meaning in someone else buying it rather than @gtturbo as the parts are gold!

as the parts are gold!
Yeah i got that bit. for 40 quid even if its just the levers its still a bargain, and you could chuck the rest of it in the nearest skip, as theres always someone looking to skip raid for bicycles.

Or hanging about lawyers hedges ;)

Persuade the seller to delist as some doogooder will pip you to the post mate
I know what you mean. Probably 30% of the bikes I agree to buy from FB and Gumtree the seller pulls out or the price miraculously shoots up after we have agreed a deal.

But not today !

I didnt think it was going to happen to be honest. I messaged the seller this afternoon and nothing. Tried calling and again nothing. Then on my way home from work, in the opposite direction of course, I got a message to say it was still cool to go collect.

So before you all hate me it was a bargain but it does have a few issues.

One of the rear cantis is not XTR. Who puts an odd canti on ?. The front shifter is missing it's cover which is annoying as I've already got a set with a broken left cover. The wheels are complete trash as I expected. The USE seatpost has been cut down but not stupidly short.

However from a very quick once over I've got XTR M900 cranks minus the granny ring, brake/shifters, both derailleurs and front cantis. Plus the frame appears to be crack free but I need to have a decent look and it even has a bonus pair of XT pedals.

So all in all super happy with it for the price. I will post some pics up tomorrow if people want to see what it's like.

I know what you mean. Probably 30% of the bikes I agree to buy from FB and Gumtree the seller pulls out or the price miraculously shoots up after we have agreed a deal.

But not today !

I didnt think it was going to happen to be honest. I messaged the seller this afternoon and nothing. Tried calling and again nothing. Then on my way home from work, in the opposite direction of course, I got a message to say it was still cool to go collect.

So before you all hate me it was a bargain but it does have a few issues.

One of the rear cantis is not XTR. Who puts an odd canti on ?. The front shifter is missing it's cover which is annoying as I've already got a set with a broken left cover. The wheels are complete trash as I expected. The USE seatpost has been cut down but not stupidly short.

However from a very quick once over I've got XTR M900 cranks minus the granny ring, brake/shifters, both derailleurs and front cantis. Plus the frame appears to be crack free but I need to have a decent look and it even has a bonus pair of XT pedals.

So all in all super happy with it for the price. I will post some pics up tomorrow if people want to see what it's like.
Great stuff

Back