Alternative to Shimano Xt M750 Front mech

Roopsk

Retro Newbie
I am looking for an alternative front mech to replace my Xt M750 (Bottom Pull). If anyone has any wisdom on what I could replace it with it would be greatly appreciated. My current f/mech cage appears to be bent as no adjustments/fettling stop the chain from slightly rubbing when on the middle ring and lowest gear on the block.

Anything 8 or 9 STX, STX-RC, LX, Deore, XT, XTR era. I'm too drunk now to recall all product codes.

M56x, M57x, M73x, M74x, M75x, M76x perhaps, M95x, , MC1z dunno. I'm fadiing

Thanks very much for your response. I am browsing alternatives now. Interestingly one I found had a great photo of the cage which pretty much confirms that my cage is bent............damm tree stumps.............

Why not replace it with the same, but straight? It's what I'd do if the drivetrain is all the same, but I have OCD when it comes to mixing. Couldn't cope with an x9 front and xo everything else.

That's my plan, but finding it very difficult to find a new (unlikely), or decent second hand M750. Hence the search for an alternative.

Throw up a pic so we can see the details, band clamp size, cable orientation (top pull/bottom swing etc) Can help you identify potential replacements.

It's usually possible to bend the steel cage back. Worn pivots, on the other hand, spell curtains.

9 speed groupsets came with a warning in the shimano docs that you will get chain rub at extremes, esp small ring to top sprocket or2 and large to 1st.
So your middle ring will rub on low (1st) if it doesn't on top (9th).

... although the cage can be bent and delicately adjusted to allow for it, at slight loss of index function.

Bb length (chainline) also plays a part, and of course sticky pivots (bottom swing esp) and weak return spring stop the derailleir moving the last millimetre.

Back