Alpinestars cro mega T560 12.5" frame!!!

Twotshirtstim

Retro Newbie
Any ideas if this would be worth anything? Was told back in the day it was super rare. Extremely small frame. Needs some tlc to bring it back to its former glory.

Re: Alpinestars cro mega d560 12" frame!!!

Holy shit, it is indeed super rare, but that's not to say it's super valuable. Just rare insofar as not many were sold. Super cute being a 12.5" and desirable to many of course. Personally I'd love it, as maybe a future retro ride for my daughter, who's only on a balance bike at the moment so a way off fitting even this super small rig! But I wouldn't be offering a fortune or anywhere near one.

It's a 1993 model and would have had mostly Deore LX M560/1 bits and wheels on Mavic M234 rims. It would've originally had a purple anodised seatpost and handlebars to match the decals. Problem anyone will have rebuilding that is finding the clamp on stem for that fork, which is black (see pic below, different to the nickel-coloured one in the inset from the larger D560) with an odd size clamp section, not any of the conventional sizes found on other bikes - to the upper fork section and an even odder ZSS - Zero Stack System - integrated headset that Alpinestars made exclusively for these T-frame bikes. Known as T24 in 1991 and T26 in 1992, with various levels of spec and either aluminium or cro-moly frame materials available, they exclusively used cromoly tubing in 1993, nickel plated in your case on the T560.
A beautiful frame nonetheless, but not worth megabucks in its present state in my opinion, sorry to disappoint you. However, if you have the stem that makes all the difference. Wheels, bars, seatpost less important but would be nice if present. The seatpost that's in there looks slightly corroded though so that's also going to set alarms bells ringing.
Hope I've been of some hell and not too much of a hinderance or dampener on your spirits.
Value is whatever someone is prepared to pay and whatever you're prepared to take.
GLWS!

Re: Alpinestars cro mega d560 12" frame!!!

And by the way, welcome to the forum! :)

Re:

Thankyou for the reply and for the valuable info you've provided. I'm starting to think no one had ever heard of these bikes before. I was aware that in its present state it's not worth a huge amount but having been told by my well informed friend back in 2001 the frame alone could be worth more than I payed for the bike new, I had to find out for sure. I do have the original stem, wheels, bars and it's all deore lx groupset as you say. I will build the bike back up before advertising it properly. Thanks again for the info it's much appreciated, I have always loved this bike. I'd like it to go somewhere where it'll be rebuilt to its former glory and enjoyed by someone else.
Will post another pic when I've put it back together again.

Re: Re:

Twotshirtstim":d8247a7e said:
Thankyou for the reply and for the valuable info you've provided. I was starting to think no one had ever heard of these bikes before. I was aware that in its present state it's not worth a huge amount but having been told by my well informed friend back in 2001 the frame alone could be worth more than I payed for the bike new, I had to find out for sure. I suppose I do have the original stem, wheels, bars and it's all deore lx groupset as you say. I will build the bike back up before advertising it properly. Thanks again for the info it's much appreciated, I have always loved this bike. I'd like it to go somewhere where it'll be rebuilt to its former glory and enjoyed by someone else.
Will post another pic when I've put it back together again.
No probs, you're welcome. I like to think of it as spreading the Alpinestars love :LOL:
Condition with old bikes is obviously as important as rarity and completeness, and it looks and sounds like you can rock all three.
Its desirability and to an extent value, will be elevated because it's so small, it's the last full production year I believe, and it's a lovely finish. Previous years' models were painted not plated. With the original Stan and post it'll look great.
I'm already interested so PM me when you find the bits! :D :cool: It'll be a nice addition to my seemingly ever-growing collection! :oops:

All the Alpinestars T series run 26" wheels. The T24 refers to the standover clearance but the name was later changed to T26 to avoid confusion with wheel size.

Back