Alan cross bikes for sale!

cheesy1o1

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys

Im selling my Alan cross bikes that ive had for over sixteen years, ive measured them up and they are 54cm, one is aluminiun the titanium, both with exactly the same running gear of campagnolo with ergo power shifters. I also have a spare set of wheels too.

What is really odd is that the titanium one seems to have a hairline crack in the top tube but i didnt think titanium could crack?? Anyway im gonna get it checked out but if so the bike could be used for spares as the running gear is in great condition!!

Im having trouble putting pics on here so if your interested i'll send the pics to an email account.

As for price, I will accept reasonable offers for the lot!

Cheesy.

Nothing cracks like an ALan or so I have heard. Titanium frames do crack as it fatigue resistance is not that great (but better than Aluminium 6000/7000 series alloys) unlike steel which is fantastic;y durable even though it rusts.

"As for price, I will accept reasonable offers for the lot!"

hey buddy, all sale posts have to have a price otherwise the thread will be locked by a mod.

also you have posted stuff for sale in the wrong section, try the "road for sale and wanted"

if it's offers/auction then you'd have to pay for that privilege by using ebay.

and welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Quote: "titanium fatigue resistance..not that great"

Like steel, provided you keep with a calculated fatigue limit, titanium alloys can have an infinite fatigue limit and obviously have the advantage of corrosion resistance and lower density than steel and why it's one of the best frame materials.

Otherwise, I'd better tell all those guys at our place to stop making the 3000-odd rear fuses of the F-35 'cos they'll fall out the sky!

Anything used within it design limits will last. It's when items are used beyond there design limits thats the problem. Titanium has wonderful structural properties but it does not last forever as everthing has a service life.

cheesy1o1":1kf898gu said:
how much do I ask for them I havent a clue what they are worth?

that's always the issue, there is a "how much is my xyz worth?" thread but i would suggest putting a ball park figure on it and see what happens.

a guide i used to use was half retail price less 10% for every year old but then it gets to a point when the eventual 10%'s mean it gets down to nothing but then it's just a how much would you accept for them.

best thing to do is chuck up some pictures in an actual for sale thread in the for sale section with all the relevant sizes etc with a spec list of each bike.

i personally don't know alot about Alan cross bikes but if you advertise with a too high price you'll soon know, likewise if it's too low!! :LOL:

regards pics, resize the images to less than 250kb then add them as an attachment or load a bunch up to an image host website then post links in the thread.

bm0p700f":1zjko1xq said:
Nothing cracks like an ALan or so I have heard. Titanium frames do crack as it fatigue resistance is not that great (but better than Aluminium 6000/7000 series alloys) unlike steel which is fantastic;y durable even though it rusts.

When I first meched for the Fangio pro team they used ALAN in both aluminium & Titanium, the Ti ones were used for Paris/ Roubaix, any bike that was used at any time during the race was stripped & the frame scrapped. Both types of frame used to crack/ break at the gear lever lugs on the down tube. After the second season that I worked for them the frames were changed to VITUS . they only seemed to fail after a hefty crash

I ust bought an Alan compotizone cheaply. Is that one of the non vitus frames? I won't be racing though, just clubs rides.

alan cross bikes for sale

bm0p700f said:
I ust bought an Alan compotizone cheaply. Is that one of the non vitus frames? I won't be racing though, just clubs rides.

The Alan & Vitus frames although both alloy & similar constuction are manufactured by different companies Alan =Italian. Vitus= French & then they both brought out frames with carbon main tubes, then with carbon stays as well, Although IIRC they both retained alloy forks. Give your frame a good look over [area of down tube around gear lever bosses & bottom head lug underneath where it joins downtube]If no sigs of crazing or cracks then you should not have a problem. The road surfaces are probably better where you are & I don`t think that you will inflict the stresses & strains the pro`s put on them. To add the faiures were usually only after fairly hefty pileups, the Paris/ Roubaix thing was a precaution as failures in later races would not have been a good advert for the sponsers. If it`s lasted this long & is still OK I would venture a guess it will be OK for some time yet. If you are now aware just check every so often. Happy Miles or K`ms

Back