Advice on chain and poss chainring/cassette replacement, pls

Great advice and websites there!

I think 48 would be better than 52 for sure based on what has been said. I'm sure my other Spesh is 48/12 from memory.

52x12 at a cadence of 80 is about 30mph, that's the same speed as the boys in the TDF peleton, have you thought of going professional.

Blimey, I wish! :D My cadence is usually around 60-70 ~ 20mph, so a 48 would buy me 2mph. Maybe I just need to pedal faster! :LOL:

Cheers, again!

I should mention, that changing the chain at the +1/16" point is to protect the cassette and chainrigs, not absolutely neccessary, however if you let it get to +1/8" (1%) there's a real concern a new chain could slip/skip under load. At the worn point sometimes it's just better to cut your losses, run the whole drive train into the ground & accept the fact you'll have to buy all three at a later date.

Yes, I really let it slide on this one - no excuse really for the sake of a tenner or so.

In fact, it may be worth just getting a new one anyway. Have just found some new 7 spd HG20, 30, 41s for about £10. Are these a standard fitment?

Hi all,

New KMC chain on and it feels and sounds lovely. No problems with skipping noted/felt so far, so hopefully, all is good. :)

Thanks again for all the pointers on this - I really appreciate it.

I'll still try a 48 front when I can get round to it. I never go big/big, so just need to check those clearances before taking the plunge.

Cheers!

Back