Advice on 1996 Orange groupset

DEAN C.

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi,
Looking for advice on what would be a suitable groupset for the 96 Orange P7 frame with F7 forks in nickel finish?

Obviously it would need to be period correct and at least middle of the range.

7 speed would probably be easier to get hold of.
I was thinking of something like deore XT or similar, mavics and deore hubs etc.

I also like Suntour but what would be period correct. (I have X1 set on wifes 1990 Kona) Prefer of old school shifters too like my 7 speed Deore and Suntour set.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dean.

1996-ish - weren't Orange fitting the FIR rims on their bikes about then?

Carge":cbha8irs said:
1996-ish - weren't Orange fitting the FIR rims on their bikes about then?

MMmm forgot about those. (FABBRICA ITALIANA RUOTE) some had a lip on them on the edge of the braking surface if I remember right.

They would be a bit different.

Dean

The FIR rims have got the lip - and a slight gold/bronze colour to them - quite nice looking.

My 1996 C16R had STX-RC originally specced, but ive gone for XT739 it was an upgrade according to the brochure at the time. Have a look at the brochure archives on the forum :)

DEAN C.":1jtdz7ek said:
Hi,
Looking for advice on what would be a suitable groupset for the 96 Orange P7 frame with F7 forks in chromalloy finish?

Obviously it would need to be period correct and at least middle of the range.

7 speed would probably be easier to get hold of.
I was thinking of something like deore XT or similar, mavics and deore hubs etc.

I also like Suntour but what would be period correct. (I have X1 set on wifes 1990 Kona) Prefer of old school shifters too like my 7 speed Deore and Suntour set.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dean.

I would say 8 speed would be much easier to base your build around, especially for a '96 P7 rather than a 7 speed set-up.....

Like Jussa, XT-M739 was my preferred groupset.

As for wheels, I just bought new from Merlin Cycles - nothing period correct there of course (black Mavic XM317 rims on new Deore XT hubs), but they're perfectly built up and don't look out of place on a retro Orange.

Let's see some pics too :D

Matty

EDIT: here's my wheels and bike -

P1060975.jpg

P1070036.jpg

My one has an lx headset -looks original, nothing else left on the bike though to give other clues.

Jussa":2o9avfim said:
My 1996 C16R had STX-RC originally specced, but ive gone for XT739 it was an upgrade according to the brochure at the time. Have a look at the brochure archives on the forum :)

Hi Thanks,
Ive been looking a the period brochures and it looking like LX and XT gear is most suitable.
Regarding gears excuse my ignorance but is the M739 8 speed? I gather that the M737 is 7 speed.
I already have a nice tidy LX top pull front derailleur to fit but its the rear and shifters I am looking trying to suss out now.I still like my Thumbies though and I am just trying to work out what year they stopped them.
The Shimano numbers system Fluffy Chicken has posted above is a big help too.

Thanks

Dean.

DEAN C.":1tbfaa9q said:
Jussa":1tbfaa9q said:

Hi Thanks,
Ive been looking a the period brochures and it looking like LX and XT gear is most suitable.
Regarding gears excuse my ignorance but is the M739 8 speed? I gather that the M737 is 7 speed.
I already have a nice tidy LX top pull front derailleur to fit but its the rear and shifters I am looking trying to suss out now.I still like my Thumbies though and I am just trying to work out what year they stopped them.
The Shimano numbers system Fluffy Chicken has posted above is a big help too.

Thanks

Dean.

My XT 739 is 8 Speed, not sure about the others, but the beauty of Shimano stuff is you can mix and match, I've got another C16R 1994 and it's set up for 7 speed with Thumbies but using a XT 739 rear and front mech, and currently a M600 crankset & rings :D

Back