advice needed from runners/joggers please

lewis1641":3q55ctn2 said:
thanks for the advice chaps.

i wouldnt say i enjoy running but the increased fitness it has brought has helped me generally and now i often take the dogs for a jog rather than a walk.

also I am wanting to di a sprint triathlon later in the year so really need to know i can do the distance as i am generally unfit and rather portly (bmi is 33)

I'm with you. I don't enjoy it that much, but the gains in core fitness are massive.

Have a look for a trainning schedule.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/fi ... /4521.html
There are alot more than what's shown here, but find what suits you.

Also think about breathing (condescending again). I used to choke and splutter alot til i found a good rhythm for myself (in for two, out for three). You could also try a Power Breathe device. It seem a bit of gimmick, but it does work at strengthening the lungs.

for me shoes are a bit like bikes .
I ll enjoy running if I like the shoes i wear .

I was told that gait analysis was invented by Nike , with a marketing view .

when I started my calfves were killing me too , but you need to get past it .

re stretching , better to do a few positions but keep them for as long as possible till it hurts like hell . keeping a stretching position for less than 30seconds is like doing nothing .

Combination of things cause my issues..my ex wife says I have many :LOL:

I had osgood schlaters as a teen and still have it, that combined with a need to loose a stone or three means literally within 3 steps of trying to run my shins feel as though someone is attacking them with a sledge hammer. I simply cannot run or use running machines.

I did adapt the running machine to use steep inclines at a brisk walking pace to start a cardio/core and whilst it works it seems to tighten the calf but in a way that seems to overstep the leg when done too long. It seems the shins are incredibly weak and gets worse on impact.

We do have a local running shop and given the osgood schlaters, the advice in here about checking the wear/gate seems one I will take.

I have started using a gym and one machine in particular seems to give me the same cardio benefits without the impact damage it's called a bowflex tread climber which is a cross elliptical climber although any elliptical workout machine should allow leg training with much reduced impact.

I also have to be realistic, my natural build limits me as I'm meant to knock down doors and not be a naturally slim will o the wisp. I'm not a runner will never be one so trying to be one will see problems.

Back