advice needed from runners/joggers please

cchris2lou":2jk79za4 said:
lack of fluid , and more stretching after exercise maybe ?

my new running shoes :

salomon-speedcross-3.png

very light and brilliant off road . never bothered with gait analysis .
I like Salomon kit - not got any running shoes, but plenty of their outdoor and leisure shoes.

Plus a rather fetching pair of Salomon inline skates.

Russell":387fepy7 said:
I would recommend a gait analysis at a proper running shop.

I had mine done and as a result of the analysis, I was recommended Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes as they provide good stability to correct my apparently unstable feet and ankles!

Had I not have had the analysis done, like most people, I would probably have just set a budget and bought whatever Nike/Adidas shoes came in at the right price. I would certainly never have brought Brooks trainers.

Anyway, all this waffle may or may not help you, you might need to stretch more? Daily rather than just before/after exercise?

You might just be overdoing it and need to lay off for a while?

One of my running buddies who suffers with sore calfs/shins, swears by compression socks (the ones that come up to the knee) to help him.

I'd say get your gait looked at and treat yourself to the 'right' shoes, take it a bit easier for a couple of weeks and work from there.

I'll add a bit more... if you're only jogging at the gym for exercise and not because you actually like it or want to run a 10k or whatever, then why not just stop altogether and substitute a different exercise that doesn't stress your lower legs like this? Plenty of other ways to improve your cardio performance and lose weight without pounding the f*ck out of your legs three times a week :)
Completely agreed.

Never mind any of this no pain, no gain guff - pain is there to tell you something, so it doesn't make sense to plow on regardless.

If you're serious about running, the gait analysis can be very beneficial - and decent running shoes hardly need to be particularly expensive (in context of other or normal trainers).

And if you're not that bothered about running, it's just a means to an end - well there's plenty of other means to an end that shouldn't require enduring shin splints.

marky2484":1m809mdt said:
+1 to gait analysis at a decent running shoe shop, and then listening to the advice............. :LOL:

+2

Also, i've been advised on more than one occasion to stretch only AFTER exercise.
Definitely warm up and get the blood flowing, but don't stretch before.
Conflicting advice abounds!

Okay, a good running shoe will help, but think before you buy.

I had my pronation looked at and recommended a medium support shoe due to my over pronation (which most people have). After a couple of weeks i developed medial knee pain. Too much support. After that i looked into it a bit further and changed the way i run.

It might sound rather condescending, but look into your running form. Alot of running shoes are based on correction. Correction of poor form (usually heel striking).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAW87NsiGuI

But in the comments it says heel striking is like a shock absorber?

Surely running posture is unique to each person?

thanks for the advice chaps.

i wouldnt say i enjoy running but the increased fitness it has brought has helped me generally and now i often take the dogs for a jog rather than a walk.

also I am wanting to di a sprint triathlon later in the year so really need to know i can do the distance as i am generally unfit and rather portly (bmi is 33)

cyfa2809":kq4u075z said:
But in the comments it says heel striking is like a shock absorber?

Surely running posture is unique to each person?

Pronation (the natural roll of the foot) is unique to eveyone. It will act as a shock absorber, so you don't want shoes that stop / correct this too much. Like i said, it sounds condescending, but i think when most people run without too much thought into it, they heel strike due to stretching the leg too far in front. All i changed was to lean forward a tad at the ankles and focus on a mid foot strike. It took a week or two for my legs and feet to strengthen to the change, but it made the world of difference. Heel striking causes too much shock up your legs and is an opposite force to the direction you're running (a bit like braking).

Back