aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh (canti content)

Similar Cantilever arghs occurring.
Returning my V-Braked Timberline back to cantis, so I popped down to the parents and had a root through my old bike toolkit... But what's this? The cantilever goblins have visited and relieved me of a full set of Alivio cantis and a full set of Tektro slightly more trick looking cantis.

Not many decent full sets get listed on Ebay these days do they?

Quick question on this fellas.... Building up a 94 clockwork for my good lady. I have doner parts from a 2001 specialized that I am breaking.... I would like to keep the Canti's on the Orange but want to use the brake levers from the specialized, the levers are V brake levers... will they work and are there any sugnificant differences between V and older Canti levers???

In short the levers are not compatible. V-levers pull twice as much cable with half the tension. With cantis you will find that you have to set the brake up very close to the rim and even then the brake feels all wrong and the lever almost touches the bar during braking.

The only solution that is compatible with both are the Avid speed dial levers or the Shimano ones from around 1996 which have two positions for the cable to adjust the leverage.

There are plenty more threads on this subject if you search this site.

ARGHHHHHH :evil: Cheers Hamster for putting me straight on this.
Looks like I will have to fit the V Brakes then..... Bugger! I take it they will fit onto the existing posts??? Or am I in for more Retro Biking frustration?

Had a fiddle about in my box, but I don't go back that far with Shimano bits, can certainly provide a plastic shroud off a 1991 onwards canti or send you a couple of arms.

Skeelsie":2cznq4mk said:
Had a fiddle about in my box, but I don't go back that far with Shimano bits, can certainly provide a plastic shroud off a 1991 onwards canti or send you a couple of arms.

hey! cheers dude - I'm only after a shroud and I think it HAS to be specific to Altus as the housings off my other odd Shimano canti don't fit. Mine don't have a serial number that I can see - should I get a pic up d'ya reckon?

Back