A warranty for...HOW LONG?

My mom had a saying when someone would tell her their product had a "lifetime warranty". She'd ask them "Who's lifetime? Yours or mine?" It's an appropriate way to look at warranty's since few companies last as long as we do and are not around when you try to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

How intricate do you think this warranty goes? Anybody out there own one with the paperwork? Wondering what parts it covers etc. My guess is they just cover the cups and the spacers..

There is also a difference between a warranty and a guarantee.

With a warranty they can take into account the amount of use you have had out of the product and offer a replacement at a subsidised price where as a guarantee would be a free replacement.

Still, 110 years shows faith.

trying to wrestle the Headset crown off Chris King no doubt...

well they came along about 5 years too late.. almost every new bike comes with Semi/Integrated headsets now!

:roll:

SF Klein":2phn5v5b said:
My mom had a saying when someone would tell her their product had a "lifetime warranty". She'd ask them "Who's lifetime? Yours or mine?" It's an appropriate way to look at warranty's since few companies last as long as we do and are not around when you try to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

True, and if enough people need to use the lifetime warranty, they might be around for even less time. See UKBikeCo.

My 1989 Univega Alpina Ultima has a lifetime warranty decal on it - it usually applies to the original owner only.

Cane Creek's 110 year warranty is a marketing gimmick (the headset is called a 110 right?), seeing as they practically invented the threadless headset they are probably fairly confident that they won't have to replace too many.

Off topic - I have a Type 4 Jetta (Bora in Europe) and it came with a 12 year corrosion warranty that the owners manual clearly states is transferrable to subsequent owners of the car. i find this particularly reassuring as my type 3 Jetta was basically composed of holes held together with rust when I got rid of it - there's none on the type 4 yet.

mechagouki":xp34yxzb said:
Cane Creek's 110 year warranty is a marketing gimmick (the headset is called a 110 right?), seeing as they practically invented the threadless headset they are probably fairly confident that they won't have to replace too many.

More than that, they are mocking Chris King, which has offered a 10 year warranty on headsets forever. I guess implying not too cleverly enough, that their CC110 headset is equal to that 10 years for King, and yet raising the stakes by a full 100 years more. :roll:

I'll stick with King.

Back