A Very British Klunker

Very cool, are you going to be doing a full resto? I must get back on this one but most of this year has been devoted to the house and family.
I'd like to restore this to a good usable standard, once I've determined which brand it is! I didn't receive anything other than the frame, forks and wheels, but I have plenty of 1960s Raleigh parts that'll fit. Later on I'll need to find some close-to-original design mudguards --- chromed or painted depending on the bike's identity...

I think they bought it in 1960, I could be wrong. Apologies to op :)
1968 was when Raleigh started making framesets for Elswick, according to the Hadland Raleigh book, but they could have supplied parts before that. Badge holes on my frame are approx. 43mm apart, and since the photo in my earlier post was taken, I've stripped some paint off to look for any other holes: nothing obvious

1968 was when Raleigh started making framesets for Elswick, according to the Hadland Raleigh book, but they could have supplied parts before that. Badge holes on my frame are approx. 43mm apart, and since the photo in my earlier post was taken, I've stripped some paint off to look for any other holes: nothing obvious
Did have five, now only four Elswicks that were definitely Raleigh-made frames/fittings, the most interesting one being this 1979 "Trend"
1979elswick.JPG

I'd like to restore this to a good usable standard, once I've determined which brand it is! I didn't receive anything other than the frame, forks and wheels, but I have plenty of 1960s Raleigh parts that'll fit. Later on I'll need to find some close-to-original design mudguards --- chromed or painted depending on the bike's identity...
One possibility regarding the frame's origin, and the reason why the headbadge holes don't look very "factory" and why I can't find any transfers under the paint: maybe it was supplied as a replacement?
fr1.JPG fr3.JPG
(From a Raleigh Industries parts book)

Latest posts

Back