A spoke more rare than hens' teeth?

Wareham64

Retro Newbie
I have a Colnago with Campag Record Titanium 9s and Proton wheels from about 1998/9 - bought via Retrobike a few years ago. Earlier this week I broke a rear drive side spoke. It has ACI stamped on it and is an unusual design - straight pull and drive side has a flattened section (as shown) to assist the crossover. I measured it as 298mm long. I've scoured the internet, but hopefully not in the right places.

I'd be very grateful if someone could identify it and if anyone knows from where I can some, please tell me - I'm currently grounded! I'm considering using an alternative spoke in the meantime - thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Happy pedaling.

Attachments

• Spoke-ACI.jpeg
    Spoke-ACI.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 586
It's probably a campag specific spoke. (Is it the wheel with the special plate to holds the end of a straight pull spoke?)
Might be worth having a rummage through campags older service catalogues, should be able to find a part number in there. Makes searching much easier.

Or just call Mercians in Derby, or the UK service centre may be able to help.

Also try JD Whisker in Welwyn Garden City.

Long-standing Campag supplier to the UK trade, they have quite a good stock of older parts:
Tel: 01438 798772 andrew.whisker@btinternet.com

Campag parts catalogues back to 1994 here: https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/download?td=3

There's nothing obviously that flat middle section,but it looks like KIT-94EL or KIT-100PR is your one...only difference seems to be the length.
And with only 1.5mm difference, either would probably work OK:

All the best,

Attachments

• 1998.png
    1998.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 1999.png
    1999.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 561
I've had a look at a few late 90s/early 00s protons, and there seems to be many versions. (Or lots of mislabeling!)

Anyway, there are a good few of the straightpull ones using both fully bladed and round spokes. So there *shouldn't* be a problem with dropping a normal 298 SS/DB spoke in there. Or even rebuilding with a full set of fully bladed spokes.

Thank you all for your help..I'm on the case JDW in the first instance - I'd prefer to obtain a matching spoke but SS/DB is next option. Fully bladed on this bike? I like the idea but what if someone saw me!

I'm checking for posts frequently and will report back...any new info much appreciated.

JDW dont normally sell to the pubic. If they dont supply the spoke let me know I can I buy from JDW several times a week.

Back