A little piece of advice needed regarding brake setup

unafraid

Dirt Disciple
Here's the situation: my '92 Ritchey P-22 comes with Deore XT 3x7 brake-shift levers and XT cantis. I don't like the performance of the cantis, so I'd like to switch to XT v-brakes. Now I know that the brake levers won't be compatible anymore. What should I do? In a perfect world, I'd like to change for parts of the same weight or lighter.

1. as they have the same spacing you could use an 8 speed/V brake XT STI and simply not use the first or eighth gear position. About the same weight.

2. fit devices called " travel agents " in place of V brake noodles to extend the 22mm cable pull of your current STIs out to the 32mm needed by Vs. A little bit heavier.

3. Gripshifters and boutique levers. The lightest solution.

4- be a man and brake less and stay with cantis . V brake have no place on a P22 . :LOL:

Before you invest in some V-brakes, I'd try some new pads and a bit of tinkering - it usually works wonders. However, XT Vs are great and an 8-speed set up, without using the 8th gear is probably your best bet for the conversion as previously mentioned.

Call me crazy, but I thought about replacing the shift-brake levers with XT thumbshifters + v-brake setup. I wonder how well that would work.

As for v-brakes not belonging to a P-22, well, I want the bike to look and feel vintage while still being decently raceable. The current XT cantis have a hard time staying aligned, one side is always super sticky and doesn't want to fully return in position and it's annoying as hell.

You should visit Sheldon Browns pages and investigate setting up your cantis properly.

Its all about mechanical advantage, angles and leverage - get this right and you'll have no worries about stopping.

Persevere with the canti's, when well set up they can work fine.
-As mentioned, V's have no place on a P-22. ;)

The non low profile XT's can provide really good stopping power, perhaps your pads are too hard?

Set em up low and wide for good leverage.

If you go for vbrakes consider brake booster braces/stiffening plates. I understand those Ritchey frames have very thin tubes to achieve thier weight.

Back