A Devinci Mystery

MSYT

Retro Guru
Just found the photos of this one on my phone of when I bought it so here’s the start of a build.

Scrolling through FB marketplace something caught my eye. A Pace fork and a blue headset. On closer inspection the headset was a Chris King but it also had a Syncros stem. The rest of the bike was ‘junk’ though or so I thought. Spoke to the seller and I think I ended up picking it up for about £70. Maybe

IMG_3565.jpeg

When I got it home, that’s when the fun finds started…. The fork wasn’t functioning, had a missing brace and a snapped bolt in the crown. It also had the star nut hanging out the top! Oh and no crown race for the CK!

I still thought the rest of the bike was junk. The components were base level and mostly extremely worn. Still hadn’t dawned on me about the frame until a bit of research. Although I did pull the BB and find it was an UN72 so it hinted at a once decent spec.

It’s a bit of a rarity. From what I’ve learned it’s made of 6061 aluminium, locally sourced and made in good old Canadia. I’ve emailed Devinci themselves and they unfortunately don’t have any records that far back but they said they didn’t really have any imports to the UK until the 2010s or so (I’ll have to check the emails to confirm).

All my searches have turned up no matching bikes until recently one popped up for sale on eBay. Same frame design. Same dropouts. Just a different colour. Unfortunately the seller wouldn’t get back to me about my serial number enquiry but it looks spot on and the components match my theory it’s a mid to late 90s bike.

So now I know it’s say around 1997 and it’s a bit of a rarity, at least in the UK, I’ve decided to do a Canadian special build. I’ll clean down the frame and polish it up. Potentially replace the decals. The drivetrain will be XT but the rest of the components I can find will be Canadian. RaceFace, Syncros, whatever era specific I can find.

Should be a fancy pants build when I’m finished 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 9
Subscribed. The Devinci factory is just down the highway from me, I see them all over the place in Quebec, but information is scarce. I know very little about the bikes, except that, at least in Canada, the frames seem higher quality than the spec'd components. I see more alivio than xt

Subscribed. The Devinci factory is just down the highway from me, I see them all over the place in Quebec, but information is scarce. I know very little about the bikes, except that, at least in Canada, the frames seem higher quality than the spec'd components. I see more alivio than xt

Interesting. Are there a lot of the older ones about then locally? It does look like a well made frame - it think it weighs around 1700g too. Not sure how that fits in to the whole idea of a lightweight bike but it feels light.

They appear from time to time. Hybrids and low end models mixed in with the quality old stuff. Another thing is, they made bikes for local shops in Ottawa. The Eclipse brand, sold at Pecco's, has aluminum frames by Devinci, but usually the shop would pick higher level components.

Back