A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

I said a few posts ago that I hadn't made my mind up on the handle for this one;
View attachment 528639

As it turns out the decision came quickly and easily. I've had a bit of very old Oak set aside for something special for a while - my dog brought the Oak piece home from the forest with him one day, he'd been carrying it for about an hour. I'm guessing it'd been sat there for a very long time as whilst the outside was extremely weathered and rotten, the inside was incredibly dense, dry and rock hard. I'd been working on that blade in the days before he passed away.

So I've spent a 'few' hours this week finishing it off. It's 15n20/1080 ladder damascus, the blade is 4" long, and 2.5mm thick. 9" total length. Copper pin and bolster, African Blackwood and Oak handle (Blackwood courtesy of Dyna-Ti; thanks matey!).

View attachment 528640View attachment 528641View attachment 528644View attachment 528645View attachment 528646View attachment 528649

It's the best I've made yet, I think. The photos don't quite show off the depth and pattern of the wood.

Hope you all like.
Being a dog lover (and all round preferrer of animals over humans!) this post almost made me tear up, think I'm a bit over tired lol. That is so beautiful, loving the work so far & will continue reading tomorrow...

My latest efforts at forging. These two are from the same piece of broken suspension spring, (that must have gone with a bang!). I now have a couple of complete 4 x 4 springs for this winter. I find forging is best done in the colder months.

293DE846-92B1-4B65-8547-B2894BEBAD61.jpeg

The one on the right is walnut and stacked leather. Purple Heart on the left hand one. Apart from the brass pommel and sheath leather they are made from scrap materials.
The right hand sheath more closely copies the Finnish original whilst the one on the left is my own easier take on it. I didn’t finish either sheath as well as I could have as I wanted it to look like it was hand made on the Tundra!

D187B02A-DE06-47DE-AD18-E4F81778640F.jpeg

And the Purple Heart:

5AE985ED-F5F2-4352-B8EF-958CF260914E.jpeg

I might have a go at using my adapted Clarke belt sander next time rather than hand filing the bevels. We’ll see at the time.

Beautiful. I can only echo that forging is best done in the colder months!!

WRT touchmark; I've actually moved over to electro etching mine. It (literally) only needs a 9v battery, some crocodile clips with leads, some q tips or cotton and some salt water... and some vinyl templates. Let me know if you want more details.

Just discovered this thread, sorry for bombarding your notifications with hearts! It has managed to reveal yet another nerdy hobby that I am perfectly inadequate at. I bought this little Japanese steel chopper at a thrift store for the purpose of a subtractive knife build. IMG_20241011_095815638.jpg
I planned to cut, grind, and file the blade down and reshape the handle into a tanto form. Then I fell for the usefulness of the blade, and it became my go to guy around the kitchen.

Just discovered this thread, sorry for bombarding your notifications with hearts! It has managed to reveal yet another nerdy hobby that I am perfectly inadequate at. I bought this little Japanese steel chopper at a thrift store for the purpose of a subtractive knife build.View attachment 891662
I planned to cut, grind, and file the blade down and reshape the handle into a tanto form. Then I fell for the usefulness of the blade, and it became my go to guy around the kitchen.
Every man needs a good grinding on his chopper...

Back