'99 Voodoo Hoodoo frame- Reduced

danwithaplan

Devout Dirtbag
Finally sorted a box to post this in.

18.5" Centre-Top

Lots of surface rust from a terrible paint-job, but the BB shell seat-tube and head-tube are all nice and clean, so a good blast and powdercoat should have it looking great. No dents/cracks

£40 posted via Paypal gift or collected from Brighton for £30.

PB120420_zps880989c9.jpg

231c5593-a0a9-4865-9f8a-e95b601e4650_zps4f19794c.jpg

12b95ecc-e278-4dd3-84d1-47855cb4bf31_zpsee5bc508.jpg

Cheers,
Dan

Any idea what tubeset this is please.

and what length fork it is designed around

oh and also the measurements for centre to centre / top tube measurement and the fork head size , bottom bracket shell size, seatpost size please :facepalm:

Mr Universe":146555su said:
Any idea what tubeset this is please.

and what length fork it is designed around

oh and also the measurements for centre to centre / top tube measurement and the fork head size , bottom bracket shell size, seatpost size please :facepalm:

DB chromo tubes, this looks like an 18.5 , not sure on tope tube 22.5 -23.5 i would say, takes 1 1/8 headset, from memory 68 bb shell( confidentmemory) , seatpost 27.2 .

beautiful riding frames with the lovely snaky stays , might wanna make him an offer though, as you are going to need a powdercoat and some decals which are gonna push the price up.

i have links to some ai voodoo files, not quite right but would give her her identity back if you wanna do it on the cheap.

headbadges can be got too.

always worth contacting voodoo too

if i was you i would get a cheap powdercoat and cheap decals made and then see how you like her.

Charlieboy28":2t8u2o1x said:
and 80 - 100mm forks ;)
What makes you think that Charlie? It looks like a 1999 frame to me, so I would say 70-80mm forks, as that's what was in the 1999 catalogue.

are these prone to the tubes rusting through , I know you mention surface rust but dont want to have to go down the road of replacing the tubes out.

Thanks lads for the information offered up , welcomed ;) may come back to you on the decals :)

Anthony":1wxk4g9m said:
Charlieboy28":1wxk4g9m said:
and 80 - 100mm forks ;)
What makes you think that Charlie? It looks like a 1999 frame to me, so I would say 70-80mm forks, as that's what was in the 1999 catalogue.

just my very dodgy reasoning Anthony.

post 94 kona's designed around 60-63 mm seem happy enough with 80mm forks albeit wiht the shorter stems.

My 97 voodoo erzulie with 100mm bombers handled like a chopper with a 110 stem, but handles like a dream with a 90mm stem.

the frame material for the hoodoo was changed for 99, 100mm travel forks were all the rage and i thought joe may have tweaked the frame geometry a little then.

many post 2000 voodoos sport 100mm + travel forks.

joe always seems to build a little lee way for travel into the frame , my modern djab ,not yet built, is supposed to ride just fine with anywhere from 100-140 mm of travel

oh and finally all your head angle calculations threads for konas which i dont understand but which seem to say go for it with a shorter stem, and the fact that you have done this yourself :p

oh and a belated welcome back, you were absent for some time

and it is a 99 hoodoo deffo def

Mr Universe":1q96bryv said:
are these prone to the tubes rusting through , I know you mention surface rust but dont want to have to go down the road of replacing the tubes out.
I would say no, and Dan's description looks very fair to me - it does need a respray, ideally back to its original colour (see below), and I would guess that would resolve all the rust issues.

Attachments

• 1999 VooDoo Hoodoo frame size 16.jpg
    1999 VooDoo Hoodoo frame size 16.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,260
Charlieboy28":2817s6dx said:
just my very dodgy reasoning Anthony.
post 94 kona's designed around 60-63 mm seem happy enough with 80mm forks albeit wiht the shorter stems.
My 97 voodoo erzulie with 100mm bombers handled like a chopper with a 110 stem, but handles like a dream with a 90mm stem.
the frame material for the hoodoo was changed for 99, 100mm travel forks were all the rage and i thought joe may have tweaked the frame geometry a little then.
many post 2000 voodoos sport 100mm + travel forks.
joe always seems to build a little lee way for travel into the frame , my modern djab ,not yet built, is supposed to ride just fine with anywhere from 100-140 mm of travel
oh and finally all your head angle calculations threads for konas which i dont understand but which seem to say go for it with a shorter stem, and the fact that you have done this yourself :p
oh and a belated welcome back, you were absent for some time
and it is a 99 hoodoo deffo def
I think you're right to say that Joe used slightly steeper head angles than Kona, but not to such an extent as that. The 1999 catalogue did offer two 100mm forks in the build options, but he recommended them only for the Canzo. The forks recommended for the Hoodoo were all in the 70-80mm range. And I don't think it's quite correct to say that 100mm forks were all the rage by 1999 - Marzocchi led the way on that, but I think it was a year or two later, and frame builders didn't react to it for a while after that - 80mm remained the xc/race standard until c2003.

I do think that >1994 Konas can be run with 100mm forks provided a 70-80mm stem is used, but I decided in the end that this wasn't ideal and an 80mm fork with a 90mm stem was much better. But this is only my opinion - different things suit different people, and if you like your 97 Erzulie with 100 and 90, then I wouldn't argue with you.

I'll restrain myself from commenting on your more recent D'Jab, as I don't want to derail Dan's sale thread.
[Why don't you put the frame up in the reader's bikes section, and we can compare notes with the 2007 Sobo I've just acquired?]

Back