'98 Orange O2 - Build thread

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So back in 2011 I bought what I thought was an Evo2 - but turned out to be a '98 O2.

I wasn't upset at not having an Evo2 as the frame seemed fairly light (1580g) for an Orange :) . It was built up with a SID, some XT m750, Hope hubs, X517 and some silly light Conti Supersonic Twisters. There was a smattering of blue ano - possibly a blue Hope headset at some point.
A buddy and I were planning a ride from Bristol to Reading along the Kennet and this was going to be my steed of choice.

Other Oranges came and went and I looked to sell the O2 - but luckily no-one bought it. A little while back, having had perhaps one too many ciders, I thought about rebuilding it as a slightly more relaxed ride. The intention was to use BMX bars for a less back mangling ride - to spin along with my head up enjoying the scenery.

So I rummaged through some boxes and found a few bits - not too shoddy. Some Pace RC31 that had been on my commuter - a Syncros post that had been on it previously. A collection of M95x XTR mechs & shifters and some Tune cranks & rings that had been on my Sub3. For some reason, which seemed like a good idea at the time, I'd bought some Tune hubs laced to Stans 355 rims from Wadsy - to go with the rather sweet Ritchey brakes. And the icing on the cake - some bmx bars and stem.

In further box rummaging at the weekend, whilst looking for something else, I found some eggbeaters and a pair of Ti axles for them - 20 minutes later they were on the O2 :)

It is such a joy to ride - for a casual twirl - on a sunny day - stopping for a cider, or an espresso and gelato. I am so glad none of you bought it - thank you :)

I'm sure I've got photos from when I first built it up - which if I find I'll and here.

In the meantime, it looks like this - and the spec list is below :)

IMG_4410.jpg

Frame: '98 Orange O2
Fork: Pace RC31

Headset: Hope
Stem: BMX
Handlebar: BMX
Grips: Lock-on summat
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Ritchey V
Brake Pads: Ritchey
Brake Cables:
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a