96 Zaskar LE Build

Dface

Retro Guru
I picked this up at the weekend. It’s an 18” and that’s the size I’d normally ride give or take an inch but I reckon I can make it fit. If I was going to Halfords to buy it I’d have probably chosen a 16” but beggars can’t be choosers. I’ll not be doing it to 96 catalog spec but parts of that era. Was actually listed without forks and wheels but when I got there he gave them to me and said they want refurbing. And they do..I saw the titanium hope hubs I just thought it was probably broke at the spoke holes and yes it was. I wasn’t bothered, I didn’t even know there were any wheels with it. 117 ceramic rims, front rim a bit worn but for the amount of time I’ll spend riding it I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’ll rebuild them onto something. The forks arrived in bits in a Tescos bag, I’ve not really looked properly but I’m guessing they want fresh elastomers or something. I know they look a little funky on the photo by the way, I just slipped the stantions in for a photo and didn’t want to ram them right down with bits still missing inside. First job will be to strip it to the frame and get a shine on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6155.jpeg
    IMG_6155.jpeg
    866.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6137.jpeg
    IMG_6137.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6142.jpeg
    IMG_6142.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6144.jpeg
    IMG_6144.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6145.jpeg
    IMG_6145.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 39
Zaskar frames are so versatile, looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! Some nice components too!

Zaskar frames are so versatile, looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! Some nice components too!
Yes some nice bits on it. Stem will be too long for me at 140mm but that can be swapped. Change to flat bar most likely too. Tyres are perished and I’ll change the v brakes. Quite like the blue though so probably stay with that kind of theme.

A closer look at the wheels. I don’t think I’d have ridden it with these hubs anyway even if unbroken.

Attachments

• IMG_6132.jpeg
    IMG_6132.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6133.jpeg
    IMG_6133.jpeg
    745.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6134.jpeg
    IMG_6134.jpeg
    917.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6135.jpeg
    IMG_6135.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 14
Another Zaskar! Jjjj
It seems like an epidemic
They are really pretty, worth rebuilding. The Gts are beautiful.
What a shame about the Hubs, I love Hope and the truth is that these Zaskars are crying out for blue components. I have resisted as long as I could, but in the end it will also have blue wheels. And the bike really asked me for it, talking to it.
The USE Allien is great and I also think that for now I'm going to put one that I have saved because the seatpost that I want at the moment doesn't appear. It's a shame that mine is made of carbon and not aluminum.
Cheer up, it's going to be fantastic.
If you need the files for the stickers, I vectorized them all 3 months ago. I think I put the original colors in Pantone in my thread, but in the file I have them in CMYK.
And in any case I had leftover stickers, if you want them I'll give them to you, they fit in an envelope and would be sent as a letter and I don't think they charge customs for letters. In addition, the stickers get damaged after a while of being stored, they lose their "tac" and no longer stick well, so if in 2 or 3 years I need a set, it would be better to make new ones than use them. If you want to take advantage of them, they are yours. They are from '96

Another Zaskar! Jjjj
It seems like an epidemic
They are really pretty, worth rebuilding. The Gts are beautiful.
What a shame about the Hubs, I love Hope and the truth is that these Zaskars are crying out for blue components. I have resisted as long as I could, but in the end it will also have blue wheels. And the bike really asked me for it, talking to it.
The USE Allien is great and I also think that for now I'm going to put one that I have saved because the seatpost that I want at the moment doesn't appear. It's a shame that mine is made of carbon and not aluminum.
Cheer up, it's going to be fantastic.
If you need the files for the stickers, I vectorized them all 3 months ago. I think I put the original colors in Pantone in my thread, but in the file I have them in CMYK.
And in any case I had leftover stickers, if you want them I'll give them to you, they fit in an envelope and would be sent as a letter and I don't think they charge customs for letters. In addition, the stickers get damaged after a while of being stored, they lose their "tac" and no longer stick well, so if in 2 or 3 years I need a set, it would be better to make new ones than use them. If you want to take advantage of them, they are yours. They are from '96
Thanks for the offer on the decals. I’d already got an order in process with Gil for some others for a different bike so I asked him to make up a set for this and chuck them in the same parcel. Appreciate the offer though 👍🏻

The parts separated from the frame easily. Stem a bit stuck but not too much effort. I’ll see what parts are good to clean up and reuse, mechanically everything works though. I’ll probably have an hour cleaning the frame today at some point and a polish to see how far I’m away from an actual shine.

Attachments

• IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    664.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6201.jpeg
    IMG_6201.jpeg
    824 KB · Views: 19
Well I’ve de-stickered it. Cleaned and gone in with the Scothbrite and WD40. Only way back now is some wet n dry and to polish it it up. It’s in quite good shape really. Small ding and a mark or two on the top tube which is perfect because there would be no way of seeing them while riding otherwise 👀 Think that’ll do for a bit, go do some actual work instead of playing with my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_6209.jpeg
    IMG_6209.jpeg
    666.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 8
Back