96 Zaskar LE build. Ideal fork?

I'm a massive weight weenie, and I'd take a bomber z2 over a Manitou 3/4 any day, on the basis that it's a much better suspension fork.

Really anything prior to a Bomber has questionable-at-best benefits over a rigid fork

cce":caupuq3s said:
I'm a massive weight weenie, and I'd take a bomber z2 over a Manitou 3/4 any day, on the basis that it's a much better suspension fork.

Really anything prior to a Bomber has questionable-at-best benefits over a rigid fork

I've bought so many old bombers with busted seals and bushings, i guess its a case of agreeing to disagree ;)

I've got this in my Zaskar
10404308_567258223417808_8505065223978295176_n.jpg

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":277oyqv7 said:
pretty much any early bomber would look terrible on a purple zaskar, plus the bomber fork is pretty heavy and weighs more than 4ibs whereas a manitou fork for example weighs 2.7ibs and being not a fan of adding un necessary weight, id choose a manitou fork over a bomber any day. you could find a pair of manitou forks with purple anodising to match your frame nicely like mine did :)

heres a purple one i found online http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2013/0 ... 09_670.jpg

I disagree 100%. They look absolutely fitting on a Zaskar so you surely haven't seen some of the different color options they offered. They produced several silver forks with different color graphics, not to mention it's a much better fork and period correct. The Manitou fork that you speak of with purple graphics is a Manitou II and predates this frame. I have both Manitous and Marzocchi forks on multiple bikes and regardless of weight, front suspension functionality is not something I wish to compromise on. Your Zaskar looks like it's getting setup more for commuting to work or a paper route perhaps... so more road than dirt based on your tire selection. With that, I'm sure the Manitou will suite your needs just fine. I would go ahead and splurge for some brakes, gears and saddle however, even though they definitely are going to add weight. :LOL:

Smithjss70":ufxty7ae said:
SEANSTEPHENS":ufxty7ae said:
pretty much any early bomber would look terrible on a purple zaskar, plus the bomber fork is pretty heavy and weighs more than 4ibs whereas a manitou fork for example weighs 2.7ibs and being not a fan of adding un necessary weight, id choose a manitou fork over a bomber any day. you could find a pair of manitou forks with purple anodising to match your frame nicely like mine did :)

heres a purple one i found online http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2013/0 ... 09_670.jpg

I disagree 100%. They look absolutely fitting on a Zaskar so you surely haven't seen some of the different color options they offered. They produced several silver forks with different color graphics, not to mention it's a much better fork and period correct. The Manitou fork that you speak of with purple graphics is a Manitou II and predates this frame. I have both Manitous and Marzocchi forks on multiple bikes and regardless of weight, front suspension functionality is not something I wish to compromise on. Your Zaskar looks like it's getting setup more for commuting to work or a paper route perhaps... so more road than dirt based on your tire selection. With that, I'm sure the Manitou will suite your needs just fine. I would go ahead and splurge for some brakes, gears and saddle however, even though they definitely are going to add weight. :LOL:

A late 90s fork on a '94 frame which is intended for canti's is period correct..... Really? :LOL:

What's with the critical sounding response? Everyone's friendly here :)

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":1i7gk24k said:
Smithjss70":1i7gk24k said:
SEANSTEPHENS":1i7gk24k said:

A late 90s fork on a '94 frame which is intended for canti's is period correct..... Really? :LOL:

Sean

what I and all my mates did was to buy a nice bike, and then a year or two later when we were feeling rich, buy a suspension fork for it....

SEANSTEPHENS":a1gd06zq said:
cce":a1gd06zq said:

I've bought so many old bombers with busted seals and bushings, i guess its a case of agreeing to disagree ;)

And ive bought so many old bombers only to strip ,clean, replaced the bushings and seals and ending up with working great once again so i think that now makes it a case of disagreeing to agree to disagree :LOL:

I was going to chuck Judy XC into the mix :)

cce":a1gd06zq said:
what I and all my mates did was to buy a nice bike, and then a year or two later when we were feeling rich, buy a suspension fork for it....

Did you share it ? :shock:

SEANSTEPHENS":1ym7uo1v said:
Smithjss70":1ym7uo1v said:
SEANSTEPHENS":1ym7uo1v said:

Sean

Bomber rolled out in 97'. OP suggested his frame was a 96. I didn't question him on the actual year but it's probably earlier than that being purple. 93-94ish if memory serves if it is in fact original. Manitou II (with purple accents) hit the street in 92-93 so that's certainly an option if he wants to be period correct and color coordinated. My response was based more on a suitable and robust fork that performs well. I wasn't intending to be critical, just stating an opinion, making a suggestion and a couple of observations. I have a II, III and IV and am just partial to the Bombers in particular if they have new elastomers.

Re:

Now I'm in doubt of the year, I will check SN when I get home.
I'm more worried about the weight than period correct, I intend making this bike my primary which I would ride the trails all the time. I have another zaskar that is 96 as per serial number with the same decals which made me believe this one was also 96.

So this is the frame of the purple, like I said before, I'll check serial number when I get home tonight.

Back