96' small Cinder Cone rescued!!!!

The hacksaw wont work if the post is pushed down into the seatpost, especially not if it's of any sizeable amount.

Best route is caustic soda, which is guaranteed to work just going to be a timely and boring job. As I am doing in two hour shifts on my saracen e stay which has 30cm of post about 10cm down into the seatpost.

Shouldn't damage paint too much if you plug it well enough and wash off any bubbling over quickly with water.

Bottom bracket on my e stay was also a git. I have welded a nut on before to get a bb out, which works well, or else a bit of heat works, although this can damage the paintwork.

Subscribing as you are obviously up for a challenge and it reminds me a lot of the mess my saracen kili is in right now!

Re:

Great bike and great find, same as mine actually although mine was free off a guy at work *applies annoying smug grin*

You'll enjoy that ride for sure :) - much original stuff on it? Let me know if you're getting rid of any parts ;)

Re:

Why not take it to a small engineering firm and have them drill/ream it out to the original internal diameter?
Should be a piece of cake if its an alloy post.

Reaming a post is really difficult as the tolerances are so small you risk damaging the seatpost. Caustic soda is risk free, just slow and boring.

I've seen a few mentions of slide hammers on these issues before, but surely if the post is (in effect) welded/bonded that strong to the inside of the seatpost it wont be able to come out anyway?

Re:

True but what I was thinking is that once it is 1/2 or 3/4 reamed it should be weak enough to collapse and prise away from the seat tube.

Seat post is out.....went the caustic soda route!!
Knackered some of the paint on the seat tube though..not too bothered as the rest of the paint is in an awful state anyway!....it adds quite a nice patina to be honest.
Not going to attempt the BB yet, the one that's in there is still quite smooth, so will leave it for another day.
Went to my local bike shop, to get some 1/4 and 5/32 cages for the impact headset and he said "you'll have to bring the old ones in, I just normally try different ones to see which ones fit"..... :facepalm:
Loose balls it is then!!!!

Re:

Loose balls are OK to do, no problem there.
Maybe you should leave the BB soaking or pour WD40 down the seat tube?
Even though the BB was good on mine, I still removed it to check as I didn't want any nasty surprises later on.

Wahey! Victory for man versus evil stuck seatpost.

Get the bottom bracket soaking in penetrating oil (not WD40) - spray through the bottle cage holes and do this for a few weeks. That'll help a great deal.

Back