'96 Judy SL - Rebuild Advice

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I've got a set of '96 Judy SLs on their way to me, and I'd like to rebuild them, and at the same time upgrade the travel from 63mm to 80mm (is this possible with these forks?)

I want to replace the seals, and replace the elastomers with springs, and fit some nice new damper carts at the same time. Can anyone recommend where to go about looking for the kit to do it?

I've seen those too, but can't seem to find any on there at the moment?

Ideally I'd like something where I can just whip the old internals out, give the insides a bit of a clean, stick the new internals in, drop in some fresh oil and go for a ride!

Travel is adjusted by altering the damper and dummy leg. Either pinch it from a same era DH fork or good luck finding a new one.

Springs on ebay Kronos (might get damper from then as well) or if your willing to hedge your bets get the Wings one's, though reviews on here have not been the most favour (possibly the damper as well).
Again you'll need both damper AND dummy leg to be the correct length.

Make sure they are to fit the 95/6 fork and not the later forks with the wider bolt at the bottom.

Seals then get an easy supply is Endura Seals, they still make them.

If you're selling old carts and things though ... ;)

Please leave the Wings stuff alone. Mine didn't fit at all and after getting zero response for help from him I had to go through paypal dispute to get my money (well most of it) back.

New top seals can be found on ebay, look for the 28mm sid/pilot/judy ones which are light grey with the yellow foam ring. Should be about £15 a pair.

I ended up going for the expensive route with the travel / damping and ordered a new oil cartridge and matching dummy leg for 75mm travel from Risse Racing which are still available direct from them.

Then for the springs I found a set of '99 Judy hydrocoil springs in a firm weight on US ebay. Had to grind down the top few coils to fit inside the preload caps but they are the correct length and work fine. Just depends how heavy you are, as you could get a set of the Kronos ones which are still on ebay now.

Another one that bought the wings kit and regretted it. Avoid. The kit did not fit correctly and the machining quality is crap. The forks sounded like an asthmatic running a marathon in a gas mask. I was lucky and got my money back. I used a combination of 3 original elastomers and springs from a Judy 98 tuning kit. As for travel changing kits, good luck.

I was lucky enough to get a set of eko sport air cartridges and dampers for my 97 sls that I am currently rebuilding. These also increase the travel. I think I was lucky to find them, but worth keeping an eye out for.

Latest posts

Back