95 Kona Cindercone<<<update>>>

lee25

Devout Dirtbag
So having been drawn in and amazed by other members bikes and re-builds on here I have decided to give my Cindercone some tlc. I have already posted up my 89 Tufftrax(the pink one) on here and due to a request im now gonna show my Cindercone. I picked this up some years ago but the previous owner decided to re paint the rear chainstays in red!!! Also he painted the lower part of the forks red too!!! So this bike has given me years of riding without any major hick ups up until recently.On a ride one weekend in Cannock Chase, the dog collar snapped,so floppy rear brake was the order of the day.Luckily I had some cable ties in the van to do a bodge,then whilst out my forks bottomed out...pretty bad and then wouldnt re bound,I thought i bet the elastomers have died(which they had when i checked on the return home) and both my tyres gave up as the sidewalls had perished. So not a very good day was had.
But thanks to the help of fellow forum members on here ive now got a new dog collar and a set of judys on the way to me :).
Ive decided though that the bike is going to get a freshen up whilst im waiting for the parts,Im going to replace all the cables and get a set of new tyres,but my main goal is to try and get that horrid red paint off the frame somehow!!. Im hoping as its sprayed on it may come off fairly easy but hope the frame isnt scratched underneath hence why it was sprayed on in the first place. Anyway,spec is as follows and will keep you updated with my progress.

Frame: Kona chromoly butted tubing

Fork: Rockshox Judy Xc

Headset: Deore XT
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Trans-x
Grips: Onza Porci paws
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Deore XT
Brake Pads: Deore XT
Brake Cables: Deore XT
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Deore XT

Shifters: Deore XT sti
Front Derailleur: Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Deore XT
Cassette: Deore XT
Chain: Deore XT
Cranks: Deore XT
Crank Bolts: Deore XT
Chainrings: Deore XT
Chainring bolts: Deore XT
Bottom Bracket: Deore XT
Pedals:

Hub Skewers: Deore XT
Rims: Front:mavic 230 sbp/Rear: Mavic 231
Hubs: Deore XT Parallax
Nipples:
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Front Ricthey Rear Onza rip or rail I think
Tubes: Ritchey

Saddle:
Seatpost: Kona Racelite
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: ??
Poor Kona :-(
SNB11736.jpg

SNB11754.jpg

SNB11729.jpg

SNB11731.jpg

SNB11738.jpg

SNB11746.jpg

SNB11730.jpg

SNB11733.jpg

SNB11743.jpg

SNB11749.jpg

SNB11741.jpg

SNB11742.jpg

SNB11732.jpg

SNB11745.jpg

good luck with the rebuild - looks like its had a few upgrades in its day. As i mentioned before my fav Cindercone colour.

Nice bike and pretty well specced, shouldn't take too much to bring this up to scratch.

As for the red paint, you could try paint stripper if it's only had a quick blow over. Don't leave it on though, just apply sparingly in small areas at a time and wipe off after a few seconds. My work bike has had a quick spray job by the previous owner and this method worked well to reveal the original paint job, the top coat just wiped off. Try it on a small patch underneath to see how you get on.

As weeman said paint stripper in small doses. Also try some Acetone ( you can get it at car paint places) a bit on a rag and rub. Check also on an oncospicious bit of drame and have some wate ready to rinse the frame after each wipe.

Good luck, hope you can get it back to the original colour. I've one as well and it does look lovely.

I've got one of those, mine is original apart from tyres and spd's.

It weighs 24.5 lb in 18" flavour complete.

Keep at it :)

this will be on hold for a little while as im sorting out the Saracen first but will defo keep you posted on its progress!!!!

Started to remove the red paint, it's not to bad but I have notice alot of wear and scratches along the stays which is probs why it was painted in the first place. Respray willnhave to wait now until funds allow, pictures do it justice and don't show how bad it reslly is.
08479694.jpg

4bd3dc2c.jpg

Back