'94 GT Zaskar Aqua (all dead photobucket links)

Re:

Back to modern handlebars and stem because, well they're better :p and ive wanted carbon Renthal Fatbars ever since i seen the pinkbike review upon release...

I wanted to shave a few grams off, and cut down to 700mm they weigh 170g, and theyre gonna be paired with my thomson elite stem which weighs 166g. the old Raceface bars and Azonic stem combined weigh a hefty 553g

Old for erm, old... I really like the ti railed Avocet, its like a flite but without the constant arse ache :LOL:

The original zasky saddle...

And the avocet o2...

A 356g total weight saving

Re:

the changes make the bike more rideable and i didnt trust the splashbacks much in the wet so I've changed them for some schwalbe racing ralphs, they arent the most nobbly of tyres but held up well in wet Bristol mud

here are some piss poor iphone quality pics from leigh woods and ashton court. The colour isn't very true to life, the frame looks more blue in some of these photos than what it actually is

Sean

Re:

yep, another update! when's it gonna stop ey? :LOL:

i put a lot of time (and money) into restoring my bomber z2's, just to put about 100miles on them and replace them with a different fork :facepalm: :roll: But... you dont see this era of sid fork with a v brake for sale very often, ive been riding em for a while now and i think they're one of the best pairs of suspension forks ive owned. maybe thats just the difference between newer forks and the retro ones ive been riding, but I'm still impressed. aint likely i'll upgrade these...

and a new DMR chain reactor... its steel so + a few g but its thinner than the old one which means i could change back to the original (shorter shell) XT bottom bracket, cus the creaking from the titanium bb and its tendency to loosen itself was starting to piss me off. The big red dmr roller woulda looked stupid on my turquoise frame so ive changed it for a blackspire one....

i dropped these bits off to be powdercoated along with a bunch of motorbike parts i was already having done. I can see what 'blackstar' was saying on the last page, black does look somewhat more subtle

Attachments

• p5pb13351856.jpg
    p5pb13351856.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 847
  • p5pb13351853.jpg
    p5pb13351853.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 847
  • p5pb13351844.jpg
    p5pb13351844.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 847
  • p5pb13351851.jpg
    p5pb13351851.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 847
Re: GT Zaskar Aqua Retromod: Update page 20

Looking Good

However looking at the various brake boosters you are running I can't help but think you should just fit maguras and be done with it?

Bullpup":lq98fu2s said:
Looking Good

However looking at the various brake boosters you are running I can't help but think you should just fit maguras and be done with it?

Thanks

And because i got no need for them, the v brakes are strong as hell, and with out flex, especialliy with the titanium boosters (which ive only had one set of, im not sure where the 'various' comes from ;) )
Maguras were heavy and theres no routing for the rear hose, i bought a pair to try out last year but they never made it onto the bike. i just didnt like em, I prefer the v's

Sean :)

If you like V's fair enough.

I can see boosters front and rear - hence my comment.

You can install Maguras neatly on GT's providing you use the fitting kit. I have 2 bikes with them installed.

I can't specifically comment on the weight having never weighed them but taking into account the weight of the whole system including cables I would be interested to learn what the difference really is?

Re:

As my bike currently stands...

for an old frame it takes the 80mm forks nicely, they dont throw the geometry off at all and i think they suit it really well. I'm also having a pair of Surly rigid forks refurbed down at argos cycles at the moment for a rigid option :)

i swapped the adjusters for late 90s Avid speed dial ones. i never liked the shimano XT/XTR barrels

the thomson stem is the 110mm variant this time. its a shame they dont make a 15 degree X4, cus the SID steerer is pretty short

Definately prefer the black chainring :cool:

I really like the detail of modern carbon parts, even if it is just a seat clamp! with the ti bolt it weighs 20g less than the original GT binder... Not bad

cheers

Re:

I can see you've put alot of thought and money into your very nice Zaskar.
I think it deserves some better rubber than charge splashbacks though!

Kyle

Re: Re:

kyle888":195wgcza said:
I can see you've put alot of thought and money into your very nice Zaskar.
I think it deserves some better rubber than charge splashbacks though!

Kyle
yeah i know what you mean but what else is there? Because there doesn't seem to be much choice in the way of modern tan walls. I have a single onza canis but i dont want knobbly tyres because they will spend more time on the road than off...

I made do with the splashbacks because they were easy to find (and cheap) and they don't do a bad job for what i use em for, but im not expecting loads from them, or to last particularly long

Sean

Back