93 Orange Clockwork sizing info please

Thejackal1971

Dirt Disciple
Good afternoon

Could someone please confirm to me both the internal diameter - for the seat tube, and the external diameter - for the front shifter please of a 1993 Orange Clockwork.

Very many thanks in advance.

Re:

Thank you very much. I did think that might be the seat post size, as the seat tube out of my Kona (which is stamped as 27.0mm) was a fraction too big.....

Appreciate the speed of your reply, and for the confirmation.

Now to find a period correct top pull XT front shifter....

Regards

Carl

Re:

Hi,

What tube set is your bike build with? I have a bike build with Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultralight and can't figure out the correct seatpost size.

Thx!

Re:

28.6mm (OD) - 26.8mm (ID) = 1.8mm

So the wall thickness is about 1.8mm / 2 = 0.9mm. Doesn't that imply a low level seat tube? I thought high end seat tubes had a wall thickness of about 0.6 mm. (SBT, thicker at the end of the BB)

Maybe I'm missing something...

Re:

Yep, 1.8mm is correct. Had the vernier calipers out to check one time in order to get the correct fittings. Not sure if I'd trust my life to 0.6mm – that's just half a millimetre!

Having had the bike repowdercoated, the frame came back a bit lighter – the stripping/burn-off/blasting process before painting takes off a layer it seems.

But Prestige (ultimate ultralight) is not a clockwork.

The internal could be anything, it depends on what thickness for what job and what reinforcement they wanted with your bike.

Re:

That's something I cant't understand.

For example, if you look here:
https://framebuildersupply.com/products ... length-640
The seattube ID will always be about about 28.6mm - 2 * 0.6mm = 27.4 mm. If you add external reinforcement (like in the picture below), this ID won't change...

So I can't understand why high end seattubes can have a seatpost of 26.8mm. This would mean a wall thickness of about (28.6mm - 26.8mm)/ 2 = 0.9mm. That would mean that the seattube is not butted but plain gauge?

Maybe I should make a seperate topic for this. I hope someone can clearify this...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 601
Back