93 Kona Impact Headset Question

I am new to all this so bear with me.

I am rebuilding a 93 Kona Cinder Cone which has the original (I think) 1 1/8" Impact Headset. The lower race cage is goosed (see pics) but everything else looks ok.

I was hoping to buy a new cage bearing but wondered

A) what size are they are, I am thinking 1/4 from previous posts about 94 headsets
B) who are reputable suppliers of such cage bearings
C) I have read that you can simply use the same size bearings but without a cage (albeit with one or two extra bearings chucked in for fun). Is this really true or really unwise?

Any advice would be seriously gratefully received as I have a knack of bodging headsets (just today collected a road bike from LBS having sheared off an adjusting bolt from an other headset and can't break two in two days!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 754
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 754
Using loose bearings is better IMHO. The only reason manufacturers use caged bearings is ease of manufacture.

Re:

Greetings, 1/4" bearings I believe, use plenty of grease, fill the race with bearings touching until you can't insert any more, then remove that one, and you're good to go. Regards

Thank you. That's great news as loose bearings are much easier to source. I'll get to it. Hopefully I can keep the bike out of the LBS (pleasant though they are) for now!

Good question ,i wanted to know the same ..
Wheres a good supplier of bearings ??
Sorry to Butt in..

Personally I always go to my local bearing factor on a trading estate. Usually you can get higher quality Grade 25 bearing balls at a fraction of the cost of a bike shop. Personally I avoid ebay as too many simply sell cheap Chinese tat with balls that are barely round and which tend to shatter.

If you need to go online try Simplybearings

Just normal chromed, if water gets in it will have dirt with it anyway. I use moly grease for CV joints and boat prop shafts as it is more water resistant

Re:

Thank you peoples. The original headset now in perfect working order thanks to a new set of 1/4 bearings and some top advice.

Off for a pedal round Leigh woods once the good lady returns home tonight. I will keep you posted (once I get home or from my hhospital bed depending on how it goes).

Cheerio!

Back