91 Orange Aluminium 'O'

Roots211

Dirt Disciple
Rather than invest in a new gravel bike I've decided to update my 1991 'O'.
I've owned the bike since new, it replaced a stolen '89 Marin Pine Mountain, and was pretty original save for the saddle, pedals, road wheels and tyres, a Middleburn ring and new derailleur cogs. I still have all the original bits.
Here it is before I stripped it down:

The paintwork was pretty shabby after 24 years of (ab)use so I decided to have it powder coated, I left the forks original and have new stickers from dnfive. Unfortunately they're a different font and the Powerstay ones are missing:

Will be treating it to a full Deore groupset, Avid levers, new wheels and a little bit of bling and using it on this years RatRace Coast to Coast.

Re:

Starting to come together, few mishaps, broke a brake lever trying to fit it over the powder coated bars before I gave in and rubbed them down. I was also missing an external BB tool for the Hollowtech that delayed me a week.
Had a blonde moment and ordered a seatpost clamp in 28.6 instead 31.8. Newbie error, this is my first build!

I'm not sure about powder coat but will reserve judgment until it's finished.

Re:

It's always nice to see a classic Orange fade scheme frame but your new colour scheme is looking hot so far – nice work there! Not one for the purists out there but it is a lovely silver/grey sparkle finish. With that colour combo, you're obviously pining for either a pale grey zolatone 90/91 Pine Mountain or the new 30th/Heritage Pine Mountain #1! :)

Look forward to seeing it with decals and ready to roll...

Re:

Thanks for the feedback. I loved my Zolatone Pine Mountain, felt so special riding it to 6th form back in the day, hadn't twigged the similarity between it and this build until you mentioned it! I thought I bought it in 89 though, was the Zolatone not available until 90?
That new Pine Mountain 1 looks great and good value for £750, must resist!

Re:

You're most welcome. I think the zolatone paint came in 1990/91. My first proper mountain bike was a 1991 Marin Palisades with the zolatone frame and hi-vis yellow stem, forks and decals. I loved it. Unfortunately, some low life stole it in 1992. Then I got an '89/90 Clockwork in 1993 – still riding it now. Must say, I've been lusting over the new Pine Mountain #1 myself!

Back