91 kona fire mountain

konadad

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
questions about sizing

picked up a 91 fire mountain frame and forks of ebay. reasonable condition so looking to keep it as it is and build up fairly cheaply from bits i have and buying parts off here. if i have measured correctly i need a 26mm seatpost and 30mm clamp front mech. from scouring here and ebay there does not seem to be much around in those sizes, especially the front mech. i have seen more 25.4 seatposts and reducing shims but this just adds cost.

before i start to buy parts and build up am i better off selling the frame and buying another frame with more common sizings?

any help appreciated

I may be wrong but i think you want a 28.6 front mech bottom pull top swing i would say, perhaps the most common size,

and i think that the seatpost size is 26.2 on those older konas, but dont quote me on that

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIXIE-MTB-BIK ... 3cba0ec7c3

it may be 26.4 seatpost from a quick look around the site , plenty cheap on bay to be had

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Archive Tech Docs say it's 26.0 (probably there is a ? next to it) for a 1991 frame (would be a blue or black finish)

Also as top-swing hadn't been invented by Shimano back then, it'll be the conventional bottom-swing front mech, in 28.6mm band size, bottom pull as well.

lol, thanks fluffy, got some bits correct like the 28.6 thing,

however having a look around the site, there is numerous references to 91 fire mountains taking 26.4 posts :? :? :?

Charlieboy28":3l2dezjk said:
lol, thanks fluffy, got some bits correct like the 28.6 thing,

however having a look around the site, there is numerous references to 91 fire mountains taking 26.4 posts :? :? :?

They may well do, the tech doc in the archive for all to read says some years earlier did and years later did on there are a few 91/92 ish that say 26.0 with a '?' after it.
Hence my probably get out clause :LOL:

Ok, just went through this with my 92 Cinder Cone (check my sig). The correct diameter on the seatpost should be 26.4. I know because I tried the 26.0 and it didn't fit. Its not a 26.8 because I tried that one too and it was too big. I now have the a 26.4 on my bike. The front mech is a 28.6 bottom pull (at least mine is). Anyways I hope that helps! PICS, PICS, PICS please!

pics of said bike

realised the clamp was 28.6 as the seat tube flares out slightly at the top to 30mm. seat post does look to be 26mm measuring across the top. when i got it the seat tube was stuck and the chainring threads stripped but a little bit of engineers brain and a lot of grunting both are out/off. Sadly the build is not going to happen due to change of circumstances so will be for sale. thank you for your help though good to know some knowledge being spread about

kona1 by konadad, on Flickr

kona4 by konadad, on Flickr

kona3 by konadad, on Flickr

kona2 by konadad, on Flickr

Back