90s fork compatibility

RUSOX

Retro Newbie
Hi!
Maybe is a silly question and I would say no, but just to confirm as all sizes use the same 26" weel.
Is a 16" size fork compatible in a 18" frame if the fork tube is not cut? the fork tube has 56.3 inches (14.3 cm) and I would like to use it on a M / L steel frame. Do you think it might work?
Thanks!

Re:

No 100% sure what it is your asking?

If your asking " does the wheel size have to match the frame size ( ie 18" frame requires 18" fork) then the ....no it does not.

If your asking if you can put a smaller fork and wheel at the front, then yes....provided the steer is the same size, compatible with the frame and long enough.

If neither, you may have to ask again.

Re:

I think what he is asking is can you take the forks off a 16” framed bike and put them on an 18” frames bike.

Op: we need more info, what bikes are they, do they have the same size steerers, straight/tapered are you just swapping the forks and swapping all the parts to suddenly frame. Just not enough info unfortunately.

Yes, I mean if I buy a fork (steel rigid) from a 16” (size S bike) bike and put them on an 18” (L size) frame bike, both being the same bike model. Will it work?
Bike is an early 90s GT steel, frame and fork rigid and I will need buy everything else to assamble it, so I can adjust, but just wondering if I can buy an S size fork for mi L size frame.
The fork tube is not cut (is being never used) and has 56.3 inches (14.3 cm)

Re:

As said the issue is steerer length, if forks off a smaller bike I'd make sure the steerer be long enough as larger frames have longer head tubes and need longer steerers. Posts suggests not an issue ? Obviously not an issue other way round, as a hack saw can resolve issue, although threaded forks will need additional thread.

Re:

Looks like steerer length could be even more sensitive as it could well be threaded if it early 90’s.

hamster":xwgxchmc said:
Yes the fork geometry is identical. The only limitation is the steerer tube length.

Thanks a lot! That's what I wanted to know :) the steerer tube is not been cut and I got its lenght so will measure the frame to verify if is long enough as there is big size difference from S to L.

Anyhow now I know the fork geometry is the same and the compatibility between frames just depends on the tube lenght, very helpul! Thanks!

Re:

Just vwatch the steer tube diameter as well. They can be various sizes, may be 1" later 1 1/4" or 1 1/8" .

Latest posts

Back